Wheels again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brian Stacks

I am an average road cycle user who likes a social 50 mile ride once a week. I would like some advice on upgrading wheels set. I like the look of aero wheels but wonder if they are suitable for my usage. I am not a tt racer. I also like the look of mavic elite s wheels. Both sets are a lot of money for me so would appreciate some good advice ta.:cycle:

Sounds like you already know the answer to your query! BB

I am an average road cycle user who likes a social 50 mile ride once a week. I would like some advice on upgrading wheels set. I like the look of aero wheels but wonder if they are suitable for my usage. I am not a tt racer. I also like the look of mavic elite s wheels. Both sets are a lot of money for me so would appreciate some good advice ta.:cycle:
Go for something like the Mavic Aksium one. They are very acceptable, and well made, and you can get a wheelset including freehub for less than 120 quid.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member

What is it you want from a set of wheels? Durability, reliability, looks, speed.....

If you mean deep rim wheels by aero then yes they look nice but if you aren't doing TT then there is no point other than impressing your club friends :smile: you would be much better off with something up to 30mm deep that can be used for club rides and other social rides

What is your budget?

Just something to keep in mind, there has been a lot of wind lately and deep aeros can have you flying across the road in a gust especially if you are a lightwieght. I have some frights lately with just normal non-aero wheels and have felt the front wheel getting a real push sideways. ( I am quite small) So for everyday use all year round I dont think aeros are practical. No harm in having a set of deep sections for the nice days though.

OP
OP
Brian Stacks

Brian Stacks

What is it you want from a set of wheels? Durability, reliability, looks, speed.....

If you mean deep rim wheels by aero then yes they look nice but if you aren't doing TT then there is no point other than impressing your club friends :smile: you would be much better off with something up to 30mm deep that can be used for club rides and other social rides

What is your budget?
My budget is up to £500

MichaelO

Veteran
I went handbuilt a couple of years ago, and haven't looked back. I bought a set of H Plus Son Archetype rims with Ultegra hubs, which have been great. Bought them from justridingalong.com

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I would agree with the wind thing even on 30mm or less.
I bought some "elite ultra 30's" from superstar components who had a nice sale on at the time (around £160) very lightweight and easily rebuildable, something which I hear is not always the case with some wheels. Can't recommend any others as i haven't tried any!
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/superstar-elite-30-ultra-wheelset.178881/

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I would agree with the wind thing even on 30mm or less.
I bought some "elite ultra 30's" from superstar components who had a nice sale on at the time (around £160) very lightweight and easily rebuildable, something which I hear is not always the case with some wheels. Can't recommend any others as i haven't tried any!
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/superstar-elite-30-ultra-wheelset.178881/
How are thee wheels holding up, i have only ridden mine once and they seemed nice but i have read the bearings needed replacing sooner than later as its one thing they skimp on using rebranded joytech hubs .

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
How are thee wheels holding up, i have only ridden mine once and they seemed nice but i have read the bearings needed replacing sooner than later as its one thing they skimp on using rebranded joytech hubs .
I've had no problems, actually had compliments from the lbs about how well they spin when they re trued them (rear deralier into spokes, my bad) other than that they were holding true nicely. Yes really pleased with them, off the bike now with the old R501's on in their place. I'm 73kg so not loading them up too much, hopefully they will last a long time!

Top Bottom