Wheels again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

outlash

also available in orange
I've been looking at new wheels too and found these at Merlin, complete with Conti GP 4000s. the price looks good to me. They also do them with Conti Ultra Sport II for £160.
https://www.merlincycles.com/fulcrum-racing-5-lg-wheelset-with-gp4000s-ii-tyres-tubes-85433.html

Anyone have these wheels? What are they like?

I've had a pair of Fulcrum 5's for a couple of years and I haven't had any problems with them. I'd happily get another pair if I had to. Also had a pair of Fulcrum 7's on my crosser which have taken a hammering over the last year or so and again, no problems.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I second going for Handbuilt wheels.
Like a Previous poster I went for 23mm Archetype rims and would have gone for 105/Ultegra hubs if it hadn't been for the Dynohub and I wanted a blingy large flange hub for the rear (VO Touring).

IMG_1023.JPG

IMG_1447.JPG

The reasons:
You can have the wheel built to your exact needs and budget
23mm rims are much better for the larger tyres favoured today 25/28mm
You could have tubeless
You have a choice of supple vs stiff, Aero/semi Aero, spoke count/strength
They will be readily fixeable by most LBS without special parts
It's nice to have something 'different' :-)

I got mine from DCR wheels and it was a very enjoyable process. I wanted wheels for club 50s/long distance riding in all weathers, a certain amount of bling, 23mm rims to take 25/28c tyres and most of all robustness/fixability. Am very happy with the outcome.

Open Pros on 105/Ultegra or Hope hubs (nice but noisy) are also very good all-round wheels for the weekly year-round club runs .... and you'll get a lot of change from your £500 for good tyres and other stuff!

Lots of good reading here: http://dcrwheels.co.uk/

Onyer

I bought some hand built ones from DCR, with the advantages explained above. Also I was looking at some 'quiet' hubs when freewheeling. My cycling mate has Fulcrum 5s and they are noisy. Spoked Wheels can build you some and he has positive feedback from people on this forum.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I am an average road cycle user who likes a social 50 mile ride once a week. I would like some advice on upgrading wheels set. I like the look of aero wheels but wonder if they are suitable for my usage. I am not a tt racer. I also like the look of mavic elite s wheels. Both sets are a lot of money for me so would appreciate some good advice ta.:cycle:

What's wrong with the ones that you have? What are new wheels going to do for you?

Top Bottom