Wheels or groupset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Theoretical question-
Say you had "sora" and "R501" wheels, as I do, would you change the wheelset or the groupset first if you were upgrading (or neither) assuming you could only do one of them?

toeknee

Über Member
Wheelset..

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I'd change the wheels, not sure the R501 would cope well with my size, so reliability would be my concern, but it depends on each riders preference

jack smith

Veteran
Whatever you can get the best deal for at a time, i dont think you would notice much from wheels if your going to replace them with another budget set, however if its something alot nicer you would notice a difference, where as if you upgraded to something like 105 it would totally revamp your bikes feel and appearence

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
What are you hoping to achieve by upgrading?
Improvements! Better climbing ability, faster rides etc etc.....the usual (I'm beginning to get an itch) which is why I put a "neither" in there as well - is there any need!

It's the newer sora, and I don't really have a problem with it.

vickster

Legendary Member
Improvements! Better climbing ability, faster rides etc etc.....the usual (I'm beginning to get an itch) which is why I put a "neither" in there as well - is there any need!

It's the newer sora, and I don't really have a problem with it.
They do say those things are down to the engine not the bike bling if you've already got a reasonable bike.

But I'd go for wheels over groupset

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Having looked around at wheel specs it would appear that to have much benefit something like the campag zondas would be needed, So no, wouldn't be replacing with similar budget wheels.
I'm around 75kg.
and I know increasing my fitness level would be the best upgrade.......

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Tyres and light tubes if you haven't already. The Shimano wheels aren't silly heavy so you would need to spend quite a bit £300 plus to see much of a noticeable improvement that way. Sora is functional and the new version has the same shifting technique as the more expensive groupsets so you would pay quite a bit for very slightly smoother shifting and slightly less weight.

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Tyres and light tubes if you haven't already. The Shimano wheels aren't silly heavy so you would need to spend quite a bit £300 plus to see much of a noticeable improvement that way. Sora is functional and the new version has the same shifting technique as the more expensive groupsets so you would pay quite a bit for very slightly smoother shifting and slightly less weight.
That's pretty much what I thought to be honest, the sora works fine, maybe not the prettiest up front but works well.
Like I said it's just a pipe dream at the moment, and what I've got seems fine to me, but if I did change either it's nice to hear peoples opinions.
The other option of course is buy n+1 with better groupset AND wheelset and keep the old one as a winter bike, hmmmmm.........

Top Bottom