Wheels - where do I begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist33

No real offence intended yellow, but you do tend to bludgeon a subject to death. You doubtless are a good and experienced bike mechanic, but bugger, you do come across poorly ((In my , as respectfully as possible, humble opinion) :okay:

I completely disagree with you on that. I believe you just feel hard done to because he showed plainly that you were talking utter bollocks.

Citius

I completely disagree with you on that. I believe you just feel hard done to because he showed plainly that you were talking utter bollocks.

This ^^^

I said something similar yesterday, but it got deleted ;)

gbb

Legendary Member
I am not sure I can believe that engineering tolerances were better 40 years ago. Taking the car industry as an example, engineering tolerances think of the difference in the engine between an Austin Princess and something like a Ford Focus. It is night and day. I appreciate that the Bike industry is not the Car industry, but a lot of the tooling and engineering has trickled down.
Neither do i, thats why i said 'Tongue in cheek' :okay:...but they really did spin well.

Yellow, my apologies for the wording of my previous. You really are very knowledgeable, but again, we'll have to disagree.
If you give me a choice of wheels that spin or ones that are 'sluggish', i'll take the ones that spin time after time after time. You MAY be correct, free spinning wheels MAY indicate they are indeed worn....if thats the case, my wheels have been worn since i fitted new bearings and improved their ability to spin freely. This is what i want from my wheels, the ability to spin freely.
Telling me that makes no difference is unimportant to me...and IMHO, wrong. Wheels that freewheel to a stop quite quickly , or wheels that keep going...and keep going. Thats what i want, thats what i have, nothing you can say will change my opinion on that.
Please...its supposed to be an informal forum, i overstepped the mark a bit, but your manner of questioning peoples opinions and experiences is borderline insulting.

We've been here before..i will try to change my irritation to your manner, perhaps you'll modify the way you question peoples real experiences.:okay:

gbb

Legendary Member
Thats genuinely your perogative:okay: . If we all thought and did the same, it'd be boring. My post above elaborates my requirements in very simple terms, MY requirements. I'm simply passing an alternative view (and one that some may well agree with) regarding free spinning wheels (which i stick by, however many people think its bollicks...which with a quick read back is only two...so not a very overwhelming opposing opinion to mine).
My apology to YS clearly states exactly why i took umbrage, not the opposing view on spinning wheels but for the manner he questioned my opinion.

Enough said....IMO.

Citius

Thats genuinely your perogative:okay: . If we all thought and did the same, it'd be boring. My post above elaborates my requirements in very simple terms, MY requirements. I'm simply passing an alternative view (and one that some may well agree with) regarding free spinning wheels (which i stick by, however many people think its bollicks...which with a quick read back is only two...so not a very overwhelming opposing opinion to mine).
My apology to YS clearly states exactly why i took umbrage, not the opposing view on spinning wheels but for the manner he questioned my opinion.

Enough said....IMO.

So you have accepted that YS is correct, while at the same time stating that you will continue to ignore his advice. Not sure we're any further forward, tbh.

gbb

Legendary Member
So you have accepted that YS is correct, while at the same time stating that you will continue to ignore his advice. Not sure we're any further forward, tbh.
No, certainly don't accept he's correct, He may be, he may not. I prefer to act on experience...and not blindly accept what someone says. I'll listen, but still use my own intuition and experience....one thats served me pretty well for gawld knows how many years...and my experience is different.
A good motto in life is...just because someone says its so, doesnt mean it is. That applies to me as well.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
The majority win in this case I think it's not just gbb that said it, countless others have done aswell including myself.

Reactions: gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
100 anecdotes do not defeat a scientific reality.
Evidence please, not just word of mouth.:okay:

Citius

Evidence please, not just word of mouth.:okay:

You had a very thorough and detailed explanation on a previous page, which you said you couldn't be bothered to read. With that kind of attitude, what is the point of engaging with you?

Citius

It's a scientific reality that you and yellow saddle have very poor communication skills, it's not about your knowledge.

I can't speak for YS, but I'm guessing we probably both have a relatively low tolerance of arrogance, if that's what you mean.

gbb

Legendary Member
You had a very thorough and detailed explanation on a previous page, which you said you couldn't be bothered to read. With that kind of attitude, what is the point of engaging with you?
Basic mistake...its not evidence, its someones opinion, just the same as mine. As we all know, EVERYONE is an expert about everything in forums.
Its really quite simple, choose to have free running wheels or sluggish ones ? I choose free running ones.
Let it go...its a discussion not the Spanish Inquisition. Opinions differ, that's natural and healthy to debate.

Citius

Basic mistake...its not evidence, its someones opinion, just the same as mine. As we all know, EVERYONE is an expert about everything in forums.
Its really quite simple, choose to have free running wheels or sluggish ones ? I choose free running ones.
Let it go...its a discussion not the Spanish Inquisition. Opinions differ, that's natural and healthy to debate.

Of course opinions differ - but refusing to read someone's considered reply as to why your post is incorrect cannot be seen as anything other than arrogance. How exactly does refusing to entertain an alternative view contribute to a 'healthy debate'..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom