Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GregC

Afternoon all,

So I went out with my friend the other day (I'm a newbie) and we rode 11 miles, we both noticed how much quicker his bike was than mine, I'd have to keep peddling whilst his wheels just kept rolling and rolling (so so annoying!)

After this I've decided that I need to upgrade my wheels from my standard specialized allez ones, I've seen these two so far and I wondered on your opinions, or if you know of any better ones, I need more speed lol

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fulcrum-racing-quattro-lg-alloy-clincher-wheelset-1/
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-zonda-c17-wheelset/

straas

Matt
Have you checked for obvious things like the brakes rubbing?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I overtightened the quick release on the rear wheel of my mountain bike once, causing a lot of friction in the bearings. I had just put a very big new knobbly tyre on and blamed the tyre for the drag. It was only when I put the bike in a stand that I noticed that it would spin for less than 1 revolution unless I kept turning the cranks, and I could feel how hard that was. I adjusted the QR more carefully and the friction went away.

OP
OP
G

GregC

I overtightened the quick release on the rear wheel of my mountain bike once, causing a lot of friction in the bearings. I had just put a very big new knobbly tyre on and blamed the tyre for the drag. It was only when I put the bike in a stand that I noticed that it would spin for less than 1 revolution unless I kept turning the cranks, and I could feel how hard that was. I adjusted the QR more carefully and the friction went away.

Hmmmmm I do tighten my QR fairly tight but that's because I don't want my wheels falling off lol

He did upgrade his wheels from the standards though, not sure if that's makes that huge a difference or not

Good afternoon,

.. standard specialized allez ones,.../

You would be wasting your money. :rolleyes:

I ride both a 531 steel frame from the early 1990s with heavy 36 spoked wheels and a newish carbon jobbie with Ultegra Di2 and wheels with 16/20 spokes and there is pretty much 1/2 a mile an hour difference between the two bikes on various rides.

The Specialized Allez as supplied from the factory is fine, so looking for a partial failure on your particular bike seems to be a better idea.

Bye

Ian

Globalti

Legendary Member
They're nice budget wheels but I think you'd be disappointed. There are many factors, which affect rolling resistance. Some decent tyres pumped to the right pressure would make more difference than new wheels.

Sharky

Guru
Can you swap bikes with your mate for a few miles - just to rule out any difference in the "rider".

Could be riding style, rider weight or aero position that could be causing the difference in rolling speed. Also tyres and tyre pressures.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Glad someone mentioned tyres - they make a HUGE difference. can't work out the link on my phone, or I'd post the rolling resistance website.

Although personally I try not to be obsessive about such things - £10 a tyre usually keeps me happy.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Was your buddy hunkered down on the drops while you were sat up on the hoods or tops? That makes a couple of mph difference to coasting speed.

Slick

Guru
Spin both bike wheels whilst off the ground for a quick basic comparison.

I upgraded to fulcrum and found a huge difference. I also fitted new hubs to the old wheels to use over the winter.

Top Bottom