Wheelset on a budget

• Thread starter Deleted member 20519
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 20519

Hi guys.

It has finally come time to upgrade my Triban 3's wheelset. With my birthday just around the corner, I thought I'd seize the opportunity to get something nice! :biggrin:

I've been looking at different wheelsets (Shimano R501's, Mavic Askiums, etc) and I've been linked to this wheelset which looks very nice.

Here's the link - http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=685

The description says -

Introducing our new Elite Rims and Icon hubs, the perfect combination for a super smooth wheelset for a great price. Icon hubs use precision CNC machined forged bodies with cartridge bearings for long life and easy to maintain. Our elite rims are manufactured from aerospace aluminium and finished to a high polish with CNC machined brake tracks. Build in the UK with the finest Sapim Race spokes and nipples, there are no corners cut to reduce quality. Light, stiff and backed up by our comprehensive warranty and backup services.

20 spoke front - radial
24 spoke rear - 2x

Elite 30 Rim - 30mm deep section

Just 660g front and 850g rear - 1510g for the pair.

With all Superstar wheels QRs are not included in the price as you may want to run your own preference or choose from our range of colours and models to suit your colour scheme.

All Wheels include:
2 year warranty
Crash replacement discount scheme
Lifetime free truing service

30-road-wheel11.jpg

What do you think? For £160 exc. skewers, they look like a pretty good deal!

I'd be dubious of those weights - especially as the 24mm versions apparently weigh exactly the same...

Cubist on here put me on to Superstar wheels for a mtn bike build, Jazloc. So far, I've found no real negative reviews. For the money, they seem excellent buys.

I don't know the hubs they are using on those wheels but the ones I looked at were Joytech hubs which are a cheaper version of Novatec, which again, are good value for money. Icon may be the same.

I'd probably check out the hubs and search for some reviews on forums. Also for the same price, especially now, you may well get some sale wheels. Check out the On One website or PlanetX, same thing.

I've got Shimano R500s on my Triban...must say that they ride smooth and seem bomb proof (went over the biggest pot hole in the fog a couple of weeks ago...thought one or both of the wheels must be buckled and stopped immediately. Checked both wheels and still true as a die!). However, not noticed a real difference in speed...
Let us know what you decide

U

User6179

Fulcrum Racing 5s 2012 model were £150 before xmas are a bit heavier but have straight pull spokes and are bomb proof, you might still get them at that price if you look about.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I just bought a pair of Planet X AL 30's as a budget fast commuter/training wheel. They seem pretty good for the money. I will be interested to see how they compare to the Aksiums they are replacing which have risen in price quite a lot since I bought mine about three years ago..

Have a look at Rose Bikes, I think my mavic open Pros on Tiagra hubs were only 130 or so, and they're built fantastically well. 105 would probably be in the region of 150.

I'm a bit wary of planet x wheels after I had my back wheel irreparably pringleise after a spoke went.

Nearly there

Veteran

Phil485

I'm looking at the fulcrum quattro's, which seem to get reasonable feedback. Possibly a bit more pricey but I've found some for 240.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I had a pair of their XC wheels for three years. They had to be sent back for rebuilding after a series of nipple failures in teh first month , but were rebuilt, fuss free with sapim brass. While they were at Superstar they were given new main bearings FOC.

Since then they have performed flawlessly, needing one set of bearings in three years, and only the occasional tweak with the spoke key despite my Clydesdale proportions. The hubs were the original Superleggera.

When I was building the new bike I had the hubs rebuilt onto Stans Flow rims. The wheel builder was extremely complimentary about Superstar hubs, he uses them for custom colour builds.

Based on my experience I would happily recommend Superstar wheels of all flavours.

Top Bottom