Wheelset on a budget

• Thread starter Deleted member 20519
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

I visited my LBS today and he showed me the various Campagnolo wheels (which look great by the way). He showed me the £130 Khamsin's and the £185 Scirocco's. I ended up choosing the Scirocco's and he's ordered me a set in, £185 and he's going to install a Shimano freehub body and get me a red quick release skewer to go along with it.

Is this a good deal?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
It is ok. Personally, I don't see the point in buying a Campag wheel and converting to Shimano unless the wheel is brilliant. The Fulcrum (they are a division of Campag btw) Racing 5's can be had for approx the same money, they are (marginally) lighter and come in a Shimano ready version, they also come with QR skewers.

But if you are happy with them, then you are happy, why question it after you commit!

AndyRM

XOXO
I'd second what Rob said. Some may view it as snobbery or something, but I don't think that components/wheelsets should be mixed up.

The Scirocco's I have seen online are around the £200 mark, so you're getting a good price, but I assume he'll be adding labour/the cost of the freehub on?

Nice set of wheels BTW. If my budget had stretched I'd have got a set.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

Yes, the cost of labour is included in the price (as is the red skewer). My LBS is a Campag based shop and he said that repairs will be very cheap on the wheels and I'd be better buying locally than online so incase anything goes wrong, I can just pop the bike into the shop.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

Also it has 'aero spokes' which sound cool :blush:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I'd second what Rob said. Some may view it as snobbery or something, but I don't think that components/wheelsets should be mixed up.

The Scirocco's I have seen online are around the £200 mark, so you're getting a good price, but I assume he'll be adding labour/the cost of the freehub on?

Nice set of wheels BTW. If my budget had stretched I'd have got a set.

I didn't really mean that, I meant it more on the basis that it seems to be a laborious (hardly a big task admittedly) way of getting a wheel when there are many equal or better wheels (even by the same manufacturer just different branding, i.e. Fulcrum) kicking around for the same price ready to ride.

AndyRM

XOXO
I didn't really mean that, I meant it more on the basis that it seems to be a laborious (hardly a big task admittedly) way of getting a wheel when there are many equal or better wheels (even by the same manufacturer just different branding, i.e. Fulcrum) kicking around for the same price ready to ride.

Sorry, not trying to mis-represent you! Understood what you meant, was just adding my opinion.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
They're cheaper at Ribble. I have a pair and they're noticeably better than the standard wheels you get with the Triban, although I would imagine you spend a bit more you would get better performance.

Tony.
+1
I got the bladed spoke set for under £70 delivered at x mas and for the money they are fantastic, i think of them as a side grade compared to the cxp 22`s i had on but i am going to put them on the commuter which has basic wheels as well that will be used on a hybrid project i am about to start.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I have Planet X AL30's and they have served me well, thus far. Better than the X57, that they were replacements for (after some to-and-fro with the Planet X warranty dept.).
Likewise I have Aksiums on a different bike and they are also ok. Not quite as stiff as the AL30's but they are not at all bad.

Just ordered a set of Pro Lite Bracchiano from CRC for £218, currently in the Price Drop (down from 299). Have read good things about them and got to be worth a punt for a sub 1500g wheelset, at that price.

martin122

Regular
im getting new wheels in the next couple months and have been looking at rodi airlines with sealed bearings from ribble and quest ennerdale wheelset from questbikes but still undecided:wacko:

stumpy66

Veteran
Chainreaction are doing pro-lite bracciano wheels for £218.69,, shimano + campag versions, down from 299. Light wheels with good reviews, im tempted myself

Top Bottom