Wheelset upgrade for around £120-£150 ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
I currently am using some alexrims comp 24 wheels, not sure on the hub etc.

the wheels are quite tired after the winter, and I don't really get on with the Gators on them, I am thinking to relegate these to winter season tyres/wheels.

What would be a step up? I don't want to break the bank £120-£150 would be where I am looking, not sure I want Mavics as I heard the spokes move if you get the flattened out ones.

I was thinking Shimano/Fulcrum.

AndyRM

XOXO
Mavic Aksiums are a good bet - https://www.merlincycles.com/mavic-aksium-one-wheelset-75460.html

As are Shimano RS330 - https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-rs330-clincher-road-wheelset-86853.html

Can vouch for both sets as being tough and well made.

Never had Fulcrum's, but these are in your price range - https://www.merlincycles.com/fulcrum-racing-7-lg-cx-clincher-wheelset-74069.html

What are you trying to achieve with new wheels?
Wheels don't get tired from use and tyres can be swapped out. But "not getting on" with your tyres is a strange reason to swap wheels. I don't understand what that means or how it can make you want new wheels. Also, tyres are consumables on wheels. None of us here will be convinced that those are good reasons for buying new wheels.
It sounds to me that you're trying to justify to yourself that you want new wheels but can't face up to admitting that you want new ones 'cause you want new ones.
Mavic makes wheels with round spokes and wheels with flat spokes, but all spokes "move" in one way or another.

vickster

Legendary Member
OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
What are you trying to achieve with new wheels?
Wheels don't get tired from use and tyres can be swapped out. But "not getting on" with your tyres is a strange reason to swap wheels. I don't understand what that means or how it can make you want new wheels. Also, tyres are consumables on wheels. None of us here will be convinced that those are good reasons for buying new wheels.
It sounds to me that you're trying to justify to yourself that you want new wheels but can't face up to admitting that you want new ones 'cause you want new ones.
Mavic makes wheels with round spokes and wheels with flat spokes, but all spokes "move" in one way or another.

The Gators I hate, they don't feel very grippy, the puncture resistance seems poor, I have had a few now with utterly feeble thorns, if it was the thorn king then I would be a little forgiving but it was pretty tragic, also they're a pain to get off and back on.

I would like something a little lighter and that rolls a little smoother the alexrims are ok but very heavy, also they have a lot of corrosion around the skewer etc after winter riding.

Tyres are getting changed regardless, after looking at the wheels and seeing they're budget and needing some TLC etc I am thinking winter wheels and having something newer/lighter/smoother for the warmer weather.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
£150 is not going to change the world in wheel terms, but it's difficult to see past the Planet X offer on Fulcrum Racing Sport at the moment - £75. http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WPFURSPO/fulcrum-racing-sport-clincher-wheelset

wow those are cheap, I am tempted very tempted, cheers bud.

The Gators I hate, they don't feel very grippy, the puncture resistance seems poor, I have had a few now with utterly feeble thorns, if it was the thorn king then I would be a little forgiving but it was pretty tragic, also they're a pain to get off and back on.

I would like something a little lighter and that rolls a little smoother the alexrims are ok but very heavy, also they have a lot of corrosion around the skewer etc after winter riding.

Oh no! You shouldn't have said that...

:popcorn:

Graham

Tyres are getting changed regardless, after looking at the wheels and seeing they're budget and needing some TLC etc I am thinking winter wheels and having something newer/lighter/smoother for the warmer weather.

What do you mean they don't feel grippy? Grip cannot be felt. It has to be experimentally determined and I doubt you did that since it involves going round and round the same bend faster and faster until the wheel breaks away. The last lean angle you achieved is the maximum lean angle. How did you determine its grippyness? How will you then know if the next set is grippier?

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
What do you mean they don't feel grippy? Grip cannot be felt. It has to be experimentally determined and I doubt you did that since it involves going round and round the same bend faster and faster until the wheel breaks away. The last lean angle you achieved is the maximum lean angle. How did you determine its grippyness? How will you then know if the next set is grippier?

I could just go round the closet mini round about to try this!

Compared to my old Detonators the Gators just have a tendency to slip more in damp conditions, the Detonators were awful in every other aspect but I felt more confident in turns on them.

Also the Gators puncture resistance in my opinion is overrated, I want something that's easier to change if I have a puncture, not spend 1/2 my ride battling to get a tyre on/off the rim.

Top Bottom