Wheelset upgrade for around £120-£150 ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I could just go round the closet mini round about to try this!

Compared to my old Detonators the Gators just have a tendency to slip more in damp conditions, the Detonators were awful in every other aspect but I felt more confident in turns on them.

You are fooling yourself, but of course that's your own perogative. You want new wheels, buy new wheels. No need to invent bogus reasons to do so.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
You are fooling yourself, but of course that's your own perogative. You want new wheels, buy new wheels. No need to invent bogus reasons to do so.

The tyres I don't like, I have persevered for 4 months and hate them, that's reason enough to change them.

The wheels are budget wheels and the fact is after the winter they do look worse for wear and have a fair amount of corrosion, they don't spin as smooth even with them and the bike being cleaned and oiled after every ride, I have asked the LBS to take a look at them when I get the new tyres fitted grease etc

Above is fact and yes I would like something a little better.

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
You don't have to justify yourself Johnno . For me, a lot of what you're describing IMO is down to feel. It's not quantifiable and likely never will be. That's not to say it's not valid...if you don't like the feel and want to spend some cash...that's all the justification you need.
The fly in the ointment is in my personal experience as follows...
Anbrosio wheelset as standard on my old Bianchi...good solid, heavy wheels...flexed a little but generally ok. I felt like something better and brought Fulcrum 5s. Brilliant wheels IM (limited) E, they're still running now, never let me down, much lighter and I feel like they spin up much faster downhill.
Did my average times decrease on my regular old 50 mile circuit....not that I noticed, but they feel better ( not quantifiable) and I get the pleasure out of them.
Life isn't dictated by a slide rule and fact and figures...if you want and feel you'd get some benefit, go for it :okay:

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
OK the Vittorias are on and I much prefer them, the ride seems less harsh and I feel more confident while cornering, even if it's a placebo type thing they make me happy.

As for wheels, I was talking to the LBS as that's where the tyres came from, he told me to take his bike round the block which I did, it's the same frame as mine but Ultegra group set, lovely to ride, he said the tyres are the one I bought and the wheels are Vision wheels.

They were a little above my budget but after the "test ride" they were very nice.

Thanks for all the help and advice and here are some awful pics! lol

Attachments

• IMG_0348.JPG
    IMG_0348.JPG
    183.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0349.JPG
    IMG_0349.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0350.JPG
    IMG_0350.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Tin Pot

Guru
I currently am using some alexrims comp 24 wheels, not sure on the hub etc.

the wheels are quite tired after the winter, and I don't really get on with the Gators on them, I am thinking to relegate these to winter season tyres/wheels.

What would be a step up? I don't want to break the bank £120-£150 would be where I am looking, not sure I want Mavics as I heard the spokes move if you get the flattened out ones.

I was thinking Shimano/Fulcrum.

Scirocco 35s with a set of tyres from Ribble I think about £169 last year.

GlenBen

Über Member
:okay:
Nice looking pair of wheels.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
Not that these pics are much better, but I tried.

I really do much prefer these wheels/tyres I feel a lot more confident in cornering.

Attachments

• IMG_0438.JPG
    IMG_0438.JPG
    336 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0439.JPG
    IMG_0439.JPG
    299.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0440.JPG
    IMG_0440.JPG
    249.2 KB · Views: 38
Top Bottom