When did CDs become obsolete???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
My ipod classic sounds better than anything else I own that's capable of playing mp3/aac music. It's surprising how much detail there is in an mp3 file played on an ipod compared with the same file played through an alternative device like a phone, laptop or bluetooth streaming device. It leads me to suspect that the codec /dac and hardware are just superior in the ipod compared against the other devices, which isn't very surprising. But also the bar is set quite low, because of how good digital audio is these days very little effort is made to make the difference that won't be noticed by most people using the products.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My ipod classic sounds better than anything else I own that's capable of playing mp3/aac music. It's surprising how much detail there is in an mp3 file played on an ipod compared with the same file played through an alternative device like a phone, laptop or bluetooth streaming device. It leads me to suspect that the codec /dac and hardware are just superior in the ipod compared against the other devices, which isn't very surprising. But also the bar is set quite low, because of how good digital audio is these days very little effort is made to make the difference that won't be noticed by most people using the products.
I'd agree that the majority of people cannot hear the difference or do not care if music 'sounds better' in whatever format its reproduced in.
Live instruments in a half decent environment will never be bettered though, all we can do is to try to get it as good as we can.

pawl

Legendary Member
I think I missed a jump in technology...I thought CDs were still viable...I know that most stuff is downloaded now but I thought there was still a place for CDs.

Tried to drop a CD off at the pub near the school where I work (as some of the children have been invited to perform at a 'sing-along' tonight). They needed a backing track and so I went into school and burned a CD. Went down to the pub and explained to the bar maid (who was quite young) that they needed it for tonight's performance...she looked at me as if I'd pood in her shoe!

"We don't do CDs here," was her response.

I ended up having to go back to work and putting the tracks on a school ipod which I've left (with reservations I must add!!) at the pub.

Didn't realise that CDs were the new Betamax!!!

Had the new Neal Dimond CD for Xmas

CharlesF

Guru
Funny this should come up; I am completing one of my Christmas tasks, transcribing 5 racks of CDs into iTunes at 320kbps. Amazing the number of CDs I have forgotten I owned - Tripping the Light Fantastic by Paul McCartney - totally forgotten.

I wont get rid of the CDs, and I am looking at getting a Denon DM39 with Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 speakers ; or spend double and buy the Marantz MCR610 and Q Acoustics Concept 20; to get the best out of the my collection.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Funny this should come up; I am completing one of my Christmas tasks, transcribing 5 racks of CDs into iTunes at 320kbps. Amazing the number of CDs I have forgotten I owned - Tripping the Light Fantastic by Paul McCartney - totally forgotten.

I wont get rid of the CDs, and I am looking at getting a Denon DM39 with Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 speakers ; or spend double and buy the Marantz MCR610 and Q Acoustics Concept 20; to get the best out of the my collection.
Have a look at the Bowers & Wilkins small (bookshelf) speaker range.

Dan B

Disengaged member
That's the only time I buy CDs now as well. Very occasionally HMV will have something cheaper too. Other than that it's all digital.
I think you'll find the CDs are digital too ...

I still buy CDs, then I rip them losslessly into FLAC and keep them on the computer in the box room from where I can stream them

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I currently use a pair of DM602 series 3 (had to look at the back to check what model they were) they're a bit large for a bookshelf but replaced my old Mission 707's when they died ( I like the option to get the windows to rattle every now and then) but the smaller of their speakers are IMO about the best sounding speakers around without spending a grand (or more)

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
CDs ......??? I'm still using reel to reel

View attachment 75189

Reel to reel??

I'm still using sheet music and my orchestra.

I'm so glad that my butler didn't lose his baton arm in the incident at @User14044's - he's a damned good conductor.

Colin_P

Guru
I ripped all my CD's to MP3 in 2003 and since have not bought many actual new CD's, downloaded plenty though.

I used to love vinyl, going down to "Our price" or where ever buying and then rushing home. Listening to the album whilst reading everything on the sleeve, I even like the smell of vinyl and the sleeves.

I run a mid range 5.1 system at home with a big Yamaha AV amp with big Gale floorstanders as the main fronts with large a Gale center and rear surrounds plus a sub. You cannot beat large floorstandiing speakers in my opinion and I'm lucky to have a large'ish house in which I can give it some volume.

The latest thing in our house as we are music mad is to spend a few hours with my teenage sons syncing the laptop to u-tube via the 'smart' networked blu-ray and taking turns putting vids up. I'm proud that my Sons have inherited some semblance of decent musical taste.

I also leave Planet Rock on a lot in the background and that includes the garage where I spend a lot of time where my previous hi-fi system has been retired too.

Reactions: GM

tyred

Legendary Member
I have a small basic Bush MP3 player that I tend to carry when walking. I've just wired it into the Aux input on an old but pretty decent Toshiba hi-fi I have here in my "study" and am shocked at the clarity and musical detail that I am hearing (Salsa music). I think I should do several things - invest in a better set of head phones for my MP3 player and also listen to music on proper apparatus more often and also put decent speakers in my car. I suddenly realise I have become a slave to the convenience of laptop or PC speakers and haven't been getting full enjoyment.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I have a Sony Jukebox, something like 200 CDs, but I compressed everything to MP3s around 15 years ago.

So what to do with the Jukebox? It's practically mint condition, not been used for years, and almost retro.

Lance Jack

Über Member
My Royal Mail van is a Vauxhall Corsa, 2008. It has a cassette player in it, so maybe not CD related but my van, which is coming up to seven years old, has something that dated. Could you even get cassettes in 2008? It's due to be replaced in 2018 so looking forward to the latest piece of out of date equipment in it, a CD player.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
My Royal Mail van is a Vauxhall Corsa, 2008. It has a cassette player in it, so maybe not CD related but my van, which is coming up to seven years old, has something that dated. Could you even get cassettes in 2008? It's due to be replaced in 2018 so looking forward to the latest piece of out of date equipment in it, a CD player.

You might be lucky and get one with a mini-disc player.

Top Bottom