When did CDs become obsolete???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Google translator didn't help me either. :smile:
I suppose its a bit like explaining the difference between a BSO and a quality cycle to a car driver.
To continue that analogy my HiFi is the equivalent of a handbuilt 531, 653, 753 frame (Mercian, Woodrup, Dave Yates, Worksop Raleigh etc) with full Campagnolo Super Record (including wide flange hubs), Handlaced wheels and a Brooks saddle in that its a bit old but superb quality'
Not everyones cup of char in that more modern stuff could impress more people but its something that will still work fantastically long after they've nailed the lid on my box.

stephec

Legendary Member
I suppose its a bit like explaining the difference between a BSO and a quality cycle to a car driver.
To continue that analogy my HiFi is the equivalent of a handbuilt 531, 653, 753 frame (Mercian, Woodrup, Dave Yates, Worksop Raleigh etc) with full Campagnolo Super Record (including wide flange hubs), Handlaced wheels and a Brooks saddle in that its a bit old but superb quality'
Not everyones cup of char in that more modern stuff could impress more people but its something that will still work fantastically long after they've nailed the lid on my box.
Does it use valves?

I remember reading about them making a comeback.

I always liked the idea of a nice hifi, but somehow the money always ended up elsewhere.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Does it use valves?

I remember reading about them making a comeback.

I always liked the idea of a nice hifi, but somehow the money always ended up elsewhere.
No, unfortunately not but QUAD did recently relaunch the 22 and QUAD 11 valve jobbies as the Classic(15 watt), 11/40 (40 watt) or 11/80 (80 watt) costing around £5,000 for a pair of Monoblock Poweramps £1,000 for the Pre-Amp and £1,200 for the Phono (turntable) Amp but that's a bit steep even for me. I'd quite like an old 22 and a pair of QUAD 11s but then they are a couple of grand for good condition ones and as QUAD proudly state "almost every one ever made is still in use", you just need to replace the KT-66 valves every now and then. :becool:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I have an on, but increasingly off, relationship with my iPod.

It's great for lots of reasons, but then I play a CD on my reasonable quality hi-fi and it's like hearing another version.

The convenience factor of the iPod is huge, but for me the sound quality of the CD is huger.

raleighnut

Legendary Member

It's great for lots of reasons, but then I play a CD on my reasonable quality hi-fi and it's like hearing another version.

The convenience factor of the iPod is huge, but for me the sound quality of the CD is huger.
As is the step up from CD to vinyl providing you own a 'decent' turntable and not one of those Japanese 'record decks'. :becool:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
CDs ......??? I'm still using reel to reel

tape.jpg

drummerbod

I have all my vinyl from the 80's and my hifi. Quality digital beats it everytime.

andyfraser

Über Member

It really depends on your ears and the bitrate of the music. I was never really happy with 128Kbps AAC or MP3. I could hear digital artefacts. I honestly can't tell the difference between a CD and either 256Kbps AAC or 320Kbps MP3 on my average audio equipment.

tyred

Legendary Member
I found myself standing in a queue in a record shop buying a CD to give someone as a Christmas present and was asking myself when I last bought a physical copy of music. I genuinely can't remember apart from maybe an odd LP from a charity shop or something.

I love my vinyl but am rarely at home to listen to it nowadays.

As for CDs, I converted them all to MP3 many years ago and I now no longer own a working CD player (apart from my computer). I can't see myself ever buying another audio CD player.

I have a lot of tapes too and only recently retired the tape deck in my car. I've replaced with a stereo that takes a memory card and I love it. So convenient instead of having tapes and CDs everywhere.

As someone who used to love to browse in record shops, the reasons for doing so wear thin and I would not like to be the manager of a record shop right now. MP3 download is so convenient and allows me to just buy the songs I want, not an entire of album.

I am sorry to see the end of physical copies of music, especially vinyl and to see the end of high street record shops but convenience wins for me I am afraid.

The player makes a big difference. Here at work a Jambox is a big step up from the laptop speakers, but still not a patch on the docking station at home.Bluetooth to the Onkyo amp is OK..ish. Direct CD to amp is still best option, but as @andyfraser posts, depends on how its been ripped to some extent.
BTW ipod classic 'clunky' - can't agree with you there. It's a simple music player, and does that very well. Touch/nano are gadgets that happen to be capable of playing music.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The player makes a big difference. Here at work a Jambox is a big step up from the laptop speakers, but still not a patch on the docking station at home.Bluetooth to the Onkyo amp is OK..ish. Direct CD to amp is still best option, but as @andyfraser posts, depends on how its been ripped to some extent.
BTW ipod classic 'clunky' - can't agree with you there. It's a simple music player, and does that very well. Touch/nano are gadgets that happen to be capable of playing music.
Nice Amp. :becool:

Top Bottom