When did CDs become obsolete???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

drummerbod

Writeable CDs should be banned. They won't hold their data for more than 5 years as the dye degrades and the polycarbonate they are made from takes 1000s of years to rot.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Still use CDS, although I mostly back up on memory sticks and DVDs. I also have a voluminous library of Classical and later symphonic music spread across a few media, from LPs to MP3. I tend to do a lot of photographic work still onto CD and DVD, but I'm no longer in the business.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have hundreds of CDs and I play them (not all at the same time). I have CDs in the car, I can plug my iPod into the Aux plug if I want though but tend to play CDs. I might be able to plug my iPod into my hi-fi I suppose, but I don't know how to. I like my CDs, I also like playing my vinyl.

Imagine someone being so rude as to turn down a CD you'd burned for them. Are they too lazy to transfer it to an iPod themselves? Turning it down is rude, rude, and rude. Then again, there are some right ignorant peasants about.

Still buy CDs (or have them bought for me). Generally can pick them up for buttons on Amazon, it's possible to buy several CD for the price of one download and with some amazon purchases you get 'autorip' you can download the music instantly but they still send the CD anyway.
They all get ripped as soon as they drop through the letterbox anyway.
They're far from dead yet, the car is 5 years old and only has a cd player in it. My own biggest issue is the end of the iPod Classic, with 130Gb of music on it, it's still very much in use when travelling and at work. Nothing else comes close to its capacity without having to break out a pc. (And no, streaming isn't an option for me)

drummerbod

Got any Edith Piaf?

:stop:

Yes and I have Non - Regrets.

andyfraser

Über Member
I sometimes buy cd's from Amazon and rip them onto my NAS because they are sometimes cheaper than buying the MP3 version and you get the MP3 version for free as well when you buy the CD :wacko:
That's the only time I buy CDs now as well. Very occasionally HMV will have something cheaper too. Other than that it's all digital.

andyfraser

Über Member
Still buy CDs (or have them bought for me). Generally can pick them up for buttons on Amazon, it's possible to buy several CD for the price of one download and with some amazon purchases you get 'autorip' you can download the music instantly but they still send the CD anyway.
They all get ripped as soon as they drop through the letterbox anyway.
They're far from dead yet, the car is 5 years old and only has a cd player in it. My own biggest issue is the end of the iPod Classic, with 130Gb of music on it, it's still very much in use when travelling and at work. Nothing else comes close to its capacity without having to break out a pc. (And no, streaming isn't an option for me)
I don't use my iPod Classic as much now but I'll miss it when it dies. Nothing else will take my whole collection.

Spotify on my phone works virtually everywhere I go locally. I have enough data each month to keep it affordable. My iPod comes out when travelling, when I might want to preserve my phone's battery or when I might not have a data connection.

andyfraser

Über Member
[QUOTE 3441421, member: 259"]I use Spotify premium and even where I don't have mobile data I've got days of stuff available offline. The iPod has been retired except where I need huge battery life.[/QUOTE]
I have Spotify Premium too but haven't investigated the offline facility. I haven't needed to yet. I do like having my entire library on my iPod for long journeys rather than just a few GB on my phone. And as I said previously, my iPod can help save my phones battery.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Another one who gets whichever's cheaper of the download or the CD though I also occasionally browse charity shops for CDs and then take them back as a donation. I've only kept my absolute favourite CDs - everything else is on the laptop and external hard drive. Don't cycle with headphones but never go for a walk or to the gym without my iPod. Must admit I'm extremely annoyed with Apple for deciding to stop making them. It's not that I don't want an iPhone, it's that I like the teeny size of my iPod and its excellent battery life.

Top Bottom