When did CDs become obsolete???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think I missed a jump in technology...I thought CDs were still viable...I know that most stuff is downloaded now but I thought there was still a place for CDs.

Tried to drop a CD off at the pub near the school where I work (as some of the children have been invited to perform at a 'sing-along' tonight). They needed a backing track and so I went into school and burned a CD. Went down to the pub and explained to the bar maid (who was quite young) that they needed it for tonight's performance...she looked at me as if I'd pood in her shoe!

"We don't do CDs here," was her response.

I ended up having to go back to work and putting the tracks on a school ipod which I've left (with reservations I must add!!) at the pub.

Didn't realise that CDs were the new Betamax!!!

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
They're legal tender in our house.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
All my music in in the cloud, backed up on an external hard drive, in case Google decides to charge for the cloud :laugh:
Would not buy a cd of new music, maybe an older one in a charity shop, but the download is usually cheaper.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I have hundreds of CDs, but they never get played every thing is on a hard drive. or a memory stick:whistle:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Still mainly on Vinyl here, I've got some CD's (couple of hundred) cassettes and minidiscs as well (I can't afford a decent open reel tape yet)
Mind I've just dragged my HiFi into the 80s with a new Pre-amp (or control unit), got a QUAD 44 to replace my old 33 (its been retired) but the Poweramps are still my 1967 design QUAD 303s (I use 2 wired up as dual output monoblocks and the bass and tweeter driven by separate channels) A big grin for Christmas on my mug. :wahhey:

screenman

Legendary Member
Still mainly on Vinyl here, I've got some CD's (couple of hundred) cassettes and minidiscs as well (I can't afford a decent open reel tape yet)
Mind I've just dragged my HiFi into the 80s with a new Pre-amp (or control unit), got a QUAD 44 to replace my old 33 (its been retired) but the Poweramps are still my 1967 design QUAD 303s (I use 2 wired up as dual output monoblocks and the bass and tweeter driven by separate channels) A big grin for Christmas on my mug. :wahhey:

Whoosh! That was the noise that post made as it went straight over my head.^_^^_^

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Whoosh! That was the noise that post made as it went straight over my head.^_^^_^
Google QUAD Amplifiers, they used to be made in Huntingdon and the Service Dept is still there (IAG now have them constructed in China but they still employ most of the old staff of QUAD at the service unit and will happily repair any of their products from 1936 onwards)

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I visited a cd, dvd and bluray factory, they have been going since the mid 80's, and started off making video tape, but the future looks very bleak for them. Over 50% of their business is done at christmas.

Top Bottom