When did CDs become obsolete???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I have a couple of NAS units with 6 x 2Tb between them and a total of 8Tb of useable storage. Even though it carries my entire digital music collection twice over, it's not even close to 10% full.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I visited a cd, dvd and bluray factory, they have been going since the mid 80's, and started off making video tape, but the future looks very bleak for them. Over 50% of their business is done at christmas.

Then that company must be doing something very wrong in their field. What is their name?
Most of the pressing plants I know (including the one we rent offices from and use for our CD & DVD production) are still doing very well .

Tin Pot

Guru
I think I missed a jump in technology...I thought CDs were still viable...I know that most stuff is downloaded now but I thought there was still a place for CDs.

Tried to drop a CD off at the pub near the school where I work (as some of the children have been invited to perform at a 'sing-along' tonight). They needed a backing track and so I went into school and burned a CD. Went down to the pub and explained to the bar maid (who was quite young) that they needed it for tonight's performance...she looked at me as if I'd pood in her shoe!

"We don't do CDs here," was her response.

I ended up having to go back to work and putting the tracks on a school ipod which I've left (with reservations I must add!!) at the pub.

Didn't realise that CDs were the new Betamax!!!

CDs obsolete five to ten years ago.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I recall one of the big London 'record' shops had a small, working, CD pressing plant in its basement.

Might have been HMV or Virgin on Oxford Street, or perhaps it was Tower Records at Piccadilly.

green1

Über Member
Great but how do you play vinyl in your car?
Same way I do on my Bike, although I don't need headphones in the car. ;)

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Then that company must be doing something very wrong in their field. What is their name?
Most of the pressing plants I know (including the one we rent offices from and use for our CD & DVD production) are still doing very well .
Cant remember the name, they were based in Queensway.
When i said the future looks bleak, i meant the long term future.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Just transferred all my CDs on a 8gb usb pen and only used half its capacity. It is amazing how much stuff you can put on them! Not getting my new car till March but at least my music is ready for it.:tongue: My present car is still using CDs.

green1

Über Member
Just transferred all my CDs on a 8gb usb pen and only used half its capacity. It is amazing how much stuff you can put on them! Not getting my new car till March but at least my music is ready for it.:tongue: My present car is still using CDs.
I've just bought an 64GB sd card for my new car. I could just about squeeze your music collection on to that after I put mine on it.

Diggs

Veteran
Still mainly on Vinyl here, I've got some CD's (couple of hundred) cassettes and minidiscs as well (I can't afford a decent open reel tape yet)
Mind I've just dragged my HiFi into the 80s with a new Pre-amp (or control unit), got a QUAD 44 to replace my old 33 (its been retired) but the Poweramps are still my 1967 design QUAD 303s (I use 2 wired up as dual output monoblocks and the bass and tweeter driven by separate channels) A big grin for Christmas on my mug. :wahhey:
I've just read this out to Mrs D and she said "Wow"
*Makes mental note never to introduce Mrs D to @raleighnut *

Top Bottom