When did things get so expensive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looking for a new road bike for Black Ewe and prices seem to start from £1500 upwards (I paid not much more than that for a car recently!)

Planet X used to be a good supply of good quality kit at reasonable prices but they, and Decathlon are on par with everywhere else.

Any suggestions of where to go / look for slightly more affordable options?
Bit wary of going ebay for bikes with carbon parts.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
My solution would be an Elephant Bike. No carbon parts on that to worry about. 👌

vickster

Legendary Member
Second hand? Try Facebook market place, eg Yorkshire bike sales.
Covid and to some extent Brexit have decreased supply and increased demand. There are few deals, and limited availability.

what spec are you seeking, what budget , Claris or Sora should still be available under a grand if available?
Merlin, Wiggle or your lbs might have something

CXRAndy

Guru
Ebay can be a little awkward without seeing in the flesh. I'd look at bikes you can actually check over.

Re the car, have you seen the price shoot up on the used car market

Dolorous Edd

Perhaps worth contacting a few local cycling clubs and seeing if any of their members are interested in selling off second hand bikes. I would have thought them generally very trustworthy.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Looking for a new road bike for Black Ewe and prices seem to start from £1500 upwards (I paid not much more than that for a car recently!)

Planet X used to be a good supply of good quality kit at reasonable prices but they, and Decathlon are on par with everywhere else.

When things got so expensive?
When central banks money printer went brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Can't think of anything decent cheaper than Decathlon or PX. Second hand through some forums or seen in person would be my choice...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

Eh? Planet X's London Road road bikes start at £800! :whistle:

Drago

Legendary Member
I wonder if Planet X ever managed to shift those four Jimmy Savile bikes theyd bought at auction for £4850 a weel before the story finally broke...? :laugh:

Thats a nice looking machine at a keen price Colin. Im not after a new bike, but that is rather tempting...

vickster

Legendary Member
PX are still dirt cheap for bikes.
Relatively, although the days of their carbon bikes with 105 or Sram Rival on special for a grand are long gone. Which is maybe what @Black Sheep was hoping for.
The LR is a deal but the OP may not face considered 1x for a roadbike and the small would seem to start for 5’4 so not that small if the daughter is petite

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Sadly I think everything has shot up. New products, new bikes, used cars, everyone is now passing on the price + 40% to the consumer, or whatever they can get away with

Joffey

Big Dosser

I should be a bit more specific about what I'm selling if you are local? It's a Boardman Sport Fi - aluminium with Claris - like a clear coated all colour. It is 5 years old I think but has only done about 50 miles on a turbo trainer as is pretty much as new. It's the smallest size they do, I think the wife is 5'6" to give you an example of size.

I presume that it's probably too old and low specced if you are looking at bikes upwards of a grand but if anything this is affordable.

Let me know if it is of interest. Located near The Black Sheep Brewery :okay:

LWeleven

There are loads on eBay loads BUT finding one close to you and the right size does seem hard , I’ve found a few but all 150 miles away from me , yes it’s hard to know if it’s the right size also as all the manufacturers sizes seem to vary …

Top Bottom