When did things get so expensive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Black Sheep
Relatively, although the days of their carbon bikes with 105 or Sram Rival on special for a grand are long gone. Which is maybe what @Black Sheep was hoping for.
The LR is a deal but the OP may not face considered 1x for a roadbike and the small would seem to start for 5’4 so not that small if the daughter is petite

Ewe is wife, Lamb is daughter :biggrin:
but indeed, a decent spec carbon or part carbon (won't touch the stuff myself) is what I was hoping on

What are you looking for? And what size?

A 'wanted' advert in various places might elicit something.

Ideally need to be able to have a sit on them back to back with others or the option of 30 day trial many online retailers offer

Part of our issue is she's no longer used to drop bars and isn't very confident on the brakes - she had an operation on her wrist a few years back, but figured an endurance type bike might be sat up enough to have her not so stretched out and so feeling more in control but still able to get the multiple hand positions drop bars offer (she's doing triathlons if I've not mentioned that yet)

vickster

Legendary Member
Ewe is wife, Lamb is daughter :biggrin:
but indeed, a decent spec carbon or part carbon (won't touch the stuff myself) is what I was hoping on

Ideally need to be able to have a sit on them back to back with others or the option of 30 day trial many online retailers offer

Part of our issue is she's no longer used to drop bars and isn't very confident on the brakes - she had an operation on her wrist a few years back, but figured an endurance type bike might be sat up enough to have her not so stretched out and so feeling more in control but still able to get the multiple hand positions drop bars offer (she's doing triathlons if I've not mentioned that yet)
if you avoid hydraulic discs (which you may well need to for budget reasons anyhow), you can always add crosslever brakes or buy one with them already fitted (eg some Liv bikes come with them as standard).

Do you have a budget or spec in mind? Have you tried your local bike retailers? Boardman bikes can still represent good value eg. Carbon, 105, rim brakes, £1100 (£1000 if BC member) (although not great availability)
https://www.halfords.com/bikes/road...-womens-road-bike-2021---xs-s-m-l-365702.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
Black Sheep
hmmm, I was wondering if hydraulic disks might give more ability to brake as less force required...

we're in Mallorca at the moment and hired bikes from Reynes, hers was full carbon with Di2 (mine wasn't!) and she did ok, although walked a couple of the down hill bits of our first decents, having been told to pulse the levers rather than just squeeze she was happier.

I'm not sure how she'd do with cross tops as she's not that happy swapping position on the bars (she'll get there with a bit more saddle time)

I don't mind spending money, I'm just a tight Yorkshire man sheep and if I can get something a bit better for the same money...

For example, when I bought my On-One mountain bike it was £500 cheaper than the SantaCruz I was also looking at.

vickster

Legendary Member
hmmm, I was wondering if hydraulic disks might give more ability to brake as less force required...

we're in Mallorca at the moment and hired bikes from Reynes, hers was full carbon with Di2 (mine wasn't!) and she did ok, although walked a couple of the down hill bits of our first decents, having been told to pulse the levers rather than just squeeze she was happier.

I'm not sure how she'd do with cross tops as she's not that happy swapping position on the bars (she'll get there with a bit more saddle time)

I don't mind spending money, I'm just a tight Yorkshire man sheep and if I can get something a bit better for the same money...

For example, when I bought my On-One mountain bike it was £500 cheaper than the SantaCruz I was also looking at.
Maybe as long as she can get a good grip. Di2 levers are a slim ergo shape.…however Cheaper shimano hydro brifters aren’t, they're rather big and bulbous, although shims / adjustment may help if possible, she can only try.

I find SRAM much better for my smaller (although not that small) shorter fingered female hands. Might be worth a look, they do mechanical and hydro brifters.
Althoygh as with everything right now, supply and availability are poor and so prices are high, and waits can be long! There are really almost no bargains for tight walleted sheep

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
I think things got more expensive when the Bike Scheme limit was raised. When it was a grand, everyone did a carbon bike for a grand. Now it is much higher (2 or 3k isn't it?) all the manufacturers have now been able to increase their prices but still sell a ton of bikes on the scheme.

vickster

Legendary Member
Dolan Bikes still do a decent Aluminium Framed bike for just over 1k, and a carbon for under 1.4k.
Not with discs though, esp not hydraulic which seems the preference

Alex321

Veteran
I think things got more expensive when the Bike Scheme limit was raised. When it was a grand, everyone did a carbon bike for a grand. Now it is much higher (2 or 3k isn't it?) all the manufacturers have now been able to increase their prices but still sell a ton of bikes on the scheme.

Not all schemes allow the higher limits (or all employers on schemes that would).

My employer signed up to one with Cyclesolutions in June, a few weeks before I bought my new bike, but it was still limited to £1000, and my bike was a little over £2000 :sad:

vickster

Legendary Member
Not all schemes allow the higher limits (or all employers on schemes that would).

My employer signed up to one with Cyclesolutions in June, a few weeks before I bought my new bike, but it was still limited to £1000, and my bike was a little over £2000 :sad:
My limit is 3.5k based on my job level, but the terms are rubbish in terms of end of scheme payment so the savings wouldn't be worth the aggro even if I was in the market

My employer is still at £1000, but container prices have gone up 6x fold according to one of my friends who has a factory in China.

Top Bottom