When do the clocks change?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

...looking forward to it like a hole in the head....I never know when this happens and it usually catches me out, then I get depressed and hibernate....BUT this year I am determined to be different...I will conquer the darkness ;)

Noodley

you've a while yet - 28 October this year.

Pete

Last Sunday in October, at 2am BST - back one hour to 1am GMT. Last Sunday in March, 1am GMT - forward one hour to 2am BST. This is now standardised across most European countries that observe Daylight Saving time.

If they ever change the system, a whole lot of software that I've written over the years would have to be junked ;):biggrin:!;) ... same for many others in my line of work!

...me too bigtallfbloke - no more "I don't fancy it in the dark..." I need to get myself organised. Cycling at night is a good way to fit in riding time where it might not exist in daylight hours - which for me seems to be all the time at the moment. Ok - it's the Rugby World Cup etc etc but I still don't have much time for real pleasure riding. (excluding the notorious London 'racetrack' commute - which I know you have seen from the seat of a coach...) ;)

Pete

I quite like riding on country lanes in the dark - provided my lights are good! Rechargeable Electron 10W/15W up front, good LEDs at the back. Far less traffic, and the cars that do come up tend to notice you better at night, all lit up as you are, than they do in daylight. Always the chance to see something caught in the beam of your light, whether it be an owl gliding silently overhead, a bat fluttering into view, a rabbit suddenly frozen in the glare of your lights. And on a clear night, stop at a dark spot, turn off your lights, wait a few minutes for your night-vision, and enjoy the stars above!

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Many Ta's.

Another few weeks to make th emos tof then...good.

I am going to start riding in the evenings more and more as the sun sets...last nights ride was most excellent...essex at it's best.

ash68

agree Pete, with good lights and plenty of refectives drivers certainly notice me more at night than during daylight hours. It's the next few weeks I don't like. It's not light when commuting but not quite dark, The twighlight zone, when you become invisible to all other road users no matter what you wear or what lights you use.Btfb certainly depressing knowing summer's gone and another long winter on the way, never mind not be long 'til spring is here again:becool:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Get some good lights and off you go. Having now ditched the car for commuting, I won't miss all the motorway crashes going home as people are trying to get used to commuting in the dark in the evening - no traffic jam issues for me. I'm already getting kitted up - extra light mounting brackets for my commuter, old BLT head/tail lamp revived and serviced (only a 3w front and a 2.4w rear.... hee hee), reflector tape on order...

The flo yellow top has come out of the cupboard in these lower light levels - now that I can fit into it again...ahem !

domtyler

Über Member
It's ridiculous isn't it? When are they gonna scrap this ridiculous system and streamline us with mainline Europe? BST all year round thanks.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Pete said:
I quite like riding on country lanes in the dark - provided my lights are good! Rechargeable Electron 10W/15W up front, good LEDs at the back. Far less traffic, and the cars that do come up tend to notice you better at night, all lit up as you are, than they do in daylight. Always the chance to see something caught in the beam of your light, whether it be an owl gliding silently overhead, a bat fluttering into view, a rabbit suddenly frozen in the glare of your lights. And on a clear night, stop at a dark spot, turn off your lights, wait a few minutes for your night-vision, and enjoy the stars above!

Yep I agree. It's that quiet you get in the dark when the rest of em are in watching telly. Or that's the way it was when I last rode in the dark (>10yrs ago now I think). Moonlit nights are good. You can even switch off your lights if nothing about and ride once dark adapted

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
domtyler said:
It's ridiculous isn't it? When are they gonna scrap this ridiculous system and streamline us with mainline Europe? BST all year round thanks.

Yes, I'm visiting the Sceptered Isle for a short holiday, which means I have got to get used to 2 hours difference.

Once again, I think it is fair to blame the French.

It's on my birthday! :-( Not good, I really do hate the dark nights. It should be done 3 weeks later, and then BST should start again 3 weeks earlier. They've done this in parts of the US I believe, and it's saved a fortune on electric lighting.

I do get an extra hour in bed on my birthday though :-)

frog

The week after the clocks change is a nightmare. There are new drivers out there who have never driven in the dark before and their sense of speed and distance is awful. Two worst week of the year for commuting ;)

domtyler

Über Member
It's not the French it's the Scots I am sad to report. Personally I don't know why they cannot operate on their own time zone and leave ours alone.

Top Bottom