When do you feel the burn?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyR00

What distance do you need to cycle before you feel you thighs/hamstrings/knees start to burn?

So last week I was out most days, 20km cycle one day, the other around 10km, not far I know. By the end of the week I'm thinking I'm Lance Armstrong, legs feel strong etc. I am whizzing up any hills.

Went out today and feel pretty rough, legs burning a bit after a km. Thinking to myself how can this be already.

What's your story, I am sure you've probably been cycling for years and your legs are like machines but do you ever go out and feel like your starting from square one again?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
If your not used to the distance it is probably your muscles getting used to the increased work load, the other day i was doing squats + step ups so the next day my legs were toast before i even got on the bike.

OP
OP
A

andyR00

It's interesting how our bodies can feel ok and be pushed further and further but when you take a break for a few days the wear to your muscles/joints is still there.

All to do with the chemicals the body produces under stress conditions and when that chemical high wears off you feel the damage.

rugby bloke

Veteran
On my recent trip to Spain I managed 5 hard days in the saddle, I guess just by focusing on each daily challenge. I then had 6 days out of the saddle before a 100km ride in the Surrey hills. At this stage the fatigue in my legs really kicked in and I had to drag myself around the ride.

OP
OP
A

andyR00

On my recent trip to Spain I managed 5 hard days in the saddle, I guess just by focusing on each daily challenge. I then had 6 days out of the saddle before a 100km ride in the Surrey hills. At this stage the fatigue in my legs really kicked in and I had to drag myself around the ride.

Exactly what I'm talking about. Strange how there can be such a delay in fatigue. But it's a real thing.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
When I got back into cycling, aged 33, a 25 km ride with 400 m of climbing used to tire out my legs. So tired in fact that I would have to crawl up the stairs when I got home. 29 years later, it would take a 200 km ride with 2,500 m of climbing to tire my legs that much, and I would still be able to walk upstairs afterwards.

You do get used to it! :okay:

harrison_888

Regular
Distance wise, anything over 50miles really starts to hurt but that pain’s reducing as I ride more often. In terms of recovery, if I’m feeling fit, I can go out and do 70miles and feel ok for another one the next day. But if I’m shattered/run down/ill and try a gentle 16mile loop I can be dead for days. Being fit and feeling fit are seldom concurrent.

Although to me “feeling the burn” is all about lactic build up in the leg muscles (climbs) rather than the distance before you feel tired. Hills are the enemy and anything over 15% is downright evil in my world. However I secretly love them and actually pride myself in being pretty decent in ascents :biggrin:

It all gets easier the more you ride. [no sh*t Sherlock]

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Loads of things can cause you to feel knackered and run out of steam - not enough sleep, bad hydration in the heat, too much beer the night before, too many days activity with no recovery time.
I had a very busy week, long hours of hard physical activity in high temperatures plus morning and evening bike rides on top. Yesterday I felt really knackered and my legs were just not interested in doing any more bike riding, so I avoided all avoidable physical activity and slept more hours than I usually would. Today my legs feel much better and the aches and pains in my arms and shoulders have also gone. I'd been overdoing it for several days on the trot and it had caught up with me, simple as that.

Last edited:

Alan O

Über Member
It varies enormously. Some days I can be out on a 30-40 mile ride and feel like I'm struggling all the way, but on others (like last Saturday) I can do 70 miles and still feel fresh at the end.

OP
OP
A

andyR00

So physiologically why do you think that is.

I think the body produces all kinds of natural painkillers at varies times that mask the pain whereas underneath we are really damaging our bodies?

Is exercising not really like getting a suntan/burn?

In other words it feels quite pleasant but really it's not good for you.

Top Bottom