When do you feel the burn?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I don't feel any burn as such. If I didn't get sudden thigh cramps after about 30 miles of hilly riding (see my posts passim) I could probably keep going until I ran out of energy...

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
So physiologically why do you think that is.

I think the body produces all kinds of natural painkillers at varies times that mask the pain whereas underneath we are really damaging our bodies?.

Muscle damage inevitably occurs during strenuous exercise.. which your body then repairs during rest/sleep periods - assuming it has enough protein available from the diet to do this. Your body also produces endorphins when doing enjoyable activity, so it's entirely possible the "feelgood juice" will mask the discomfort and result in you keeping on carrying out the activity when you would otherwise jack it in.

si_c

Guru
Same for me as @smutchin I find it's all about intensity. If I add in a couple of steep hill reps on my commute home my legs can be toast for days afterwards, but a 100mi hilly bike ride at a sensible pace might barely register.

OP
OP
A

andyR00

I think because I am still technically a newb. Been out about 20 times on 10km cycles and a couple of longer ones with a break in between and somehow think I'm a seasoned cyclist.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sjw

Nonethewiser

I've managed to drag myself up to about 35 miles now at an average of around 12 to 14mph, depending on how many hills there are on the route and feel OK afterwards but I admit I'm not one for attempting to smash any KOM's on Strava!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I've managed to drag myself up to about 35 miles now at an average of around 12 to 14mph, depending on how many hills there are on the route and feel OK afterwards but I admit I'm not one for attempting to smash any KOM's on Strava!

That's perfectly respectable.

I tootle around the Lake District and average 13-15mph depending on route and current fitness/chubby-ness levels. I tend to get up to around 40 miles max' which is about my boredom threshold more than anything else. My head's had enough as saddle time chugs on past 2.5 hours.

35 miles is a long way in the real world - maybe it doesn't sound much because of some of the huge mileages some members knock out on here. Takes a good while to drive that distance where I live and most non-cyclists probably couldn't manage 1 mile let alone 35.

Milzy

Guru
It’s like Ian UK says for me. I’d rather ride a 100 than Run 20.

gbb

Legendary Member
And then there's the depleting effect that pushing yourself has on your bodys immune system...perhaps. I could imagine as you dig deep into reserves to up mileage, speed etc, you're perhaps leaving the body depleted to do other stuff like fight off infection etc..perhaps that's why you feel crock.

It's be what I found just once in a while...you feel ok, you go for a ride and a few miles in....it's just not there and you head back, you just know you won't do what you normally would.
It's quite reasonable to assume you were carrying a slight virus or similar that your body could cope with ..until you started exercising.

And at the other end of the spectrum, those once in every 2 or 3 year experiences where you go out...and feel and perform like an Olympian...you're performing was way beyond what you normally would. If only it happened more often :tongue:

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

andyR00

And then there's the depleting effect that pushing yourself has on your bodys immune system...perhaps. I could imagine as you dig deep into reserves to up mileage, speed etc, you're perhaps leaving the body depleted to do other stuff like fight off infection etc..perhaps that's why you feel crock.

It's be the reverse of what I found just once in a while...you feel ok, you go for a ride and a few miles in....it's just not there and you head back, you just know you won't do what you normally would.
It's quite reasonable to assume you were carrying a slight virus or similar that your body could cope with ..until you started exercising.

And at the other end of the spectrum, those once in every 2 or 3 year experiences where you go out...and feel and perform like an Olympian...you're performing was way beyond what you normally would. If only it happened more often :tongue:

Good answer. Your probably right about the virus. So many around, even get them from cats and dogs and they can be with you for months/years.

This is probably the correct answer as often a few days after a tough cycle I can feel totally depleted almost like I have the cold.

Reactions: gbb

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
I think because I am still technically a newb. Been out about 20 times on 10km cycles and a couple of longer ones with a break in between and somehow think I'm a seasoned cyclist.

You don't build muscle when you ride or workout, that just stimulates and prepares the muscles so that when you next rest the body starts building up/strenghtening in preparation for that type of use.
If you don't rest and fuel the body properly it not only takes longer but "hurts" more.
Listen to what your body is telling you and don't push yourself too hard.

So if out on a ride after a few days of riding and it hurts "Slow down" take it easy and after a while you'll find you can do more faster & further.

ENJOY your cycling and have FUN.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
If you don't rest and fuel the body properly it not only takes longer but "hurts" more.
Listen to what your body is telling you and don't push yourself too hard.

Very true, you need recovery time otherwise you are also likely to pick up injuries.
I used to do a lot of chin-up exercises and these are particularly punishing as you are lifting your entire body weight. Any day I did them I would have two days recovery time afterwards. If I tried doing them more frequently, all I did is knacker myself out and didn't gain any extra strength.

Kajjal

Guru
I would echo the effect of running down your immune system by continually over doing it. Luckily I get few if any injuries but do have to careful not to push myself too hard continually over a period of time or I start to get colds and feel run down. This very rarely happens now as I notice the beginning of it and have a couple of extra days rest off the bike and all is good to go again.

The other thing is peoples bodies are all different, I find mountain biking suits me and I really go for it. Road biking not so much so I tend to just ride at a steady manageable speed.

Top Bottom