When do you get your taste back?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
Well I've managed to avoid the lurgy until this week so done quite well I suppose..

Two positive LFT test and took a PCR on Thursday to confirm.

I can't taste or smell anything now, to anyone on here who's had Covid, how long did it take to get your taste back?.

I can deal with the rest but the loss of taste is a real downer!.

Cheers all.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Mine took about three weeks. My son was quicker.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Keith, I feel your hurt! I have had a fantastic sense of smell all my life. Out on a ride, I can smell gas leaks from fifty yards, dead mice from outside the front door. It's sometimes a curse but mainly a huge blessing. I caught The Plague on about 13th October. My sense of smell went about two days later and it hasn't come back. I sniff the spice and herb jars daily but they might as well be empty. It should return at some stage but I feel guilty for having always taken it for granted.

Good luck.

I was in hospital 4 times because of covid, twice with severe breathing problems but never lost my sense of smell or taste but I think the sense of smell may have been slightly reduced. However I did regularly take zinc supplements as well as vitamin D although I think its the zinc that is the important supplement linked to taste/smell. As your body fights covid it rapidly depletes many important vitamins and minerals. So I would imagine taking zinc and eating zinc rich food would help speed up your taste/smell recovery.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Never really suffered from that although I had what might be considered a mild form and lost my appetite which is natural.
The advice is to take plenty of vitamin C which I did but don’t know if that helps taste.

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member
I had Covid in May of last year, I too lost my sense of taste and smell. It was between two and three weeks before it came back.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I had COVID at the beginning of the year and my sense of taste and smell still isn't back to normal. I can smell and taste some things but not others. I can eat neat Marmite because I can hardly taste salt. Toilet smells are particularly bad because I can now only smell the more obnoxious components.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
I do enjoy high spice/ heat foods.

Did a test yesterday, minestrone soup in a mug with 2 cap fulls of chilli powder and two cap fulls of chilli seeds. Tasted absolutely nothing and no heat out of the spices.

I was hoping people were going to say a week :laugh:, you don't realise how much you enjoy tasting food until you can't.

Sunday dinner is going to be interesting, might as well eat some cardboard out if the recycling.

We have air fresher that (to me anyway) absolutely stinks, couldn't even tell it had been sprayed about, same with the toilet cleaner.

Cheers all for the replies, going to be a long month. Migh lose a few kg though so always a silver lining!.

Apart from the taste, smell I'm ok; feel sorry for those that have had it a lot worse than me.

PK99

Legendary Member
I was grotty for 24 hours in March 2020, then ok. After a week sense of smell disappeared overnight, a week later it reappeared equally quickly

vickster

Legendary Member
I tested positive a week ago.
I can taste sharp things like fruit and sweet things but not much on the salty spectrum. No sense of smell, good or bad even though my nose is clearer but my sinuses still blocked.
Unfortunately I’ve not lost my appetite and being stuck in is not good for a boredom eater like me! :rolleyes:
I’ve been taking Vit D and vitC/zinc tablets daily for a couple of years so hopefully that’ll help

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
It's put me right off my food really (apart from crunchy nachos), had fish and chips on Friday night didn't even realise they had salt and vinegar on..

I know people who have lost taste for years (not Covid related), never appreciated how bad it would be until now.

newts

Veteran
I'm 12 weeks post covid, sense of smell & taste are still not great, they fluctuate from day to day. Metallic taste in the mouth is still very prevalent.
Tiredness & rapid heart rate increase are the biggest worry.

Top Bottom