When do you get your taste back?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It must be bad enough not enjoying food any more, but there could be a fatal outcome if there was a gas leak and you couldn't smell the gas! :eek:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Smell is also handy for detecting shorting-out/arcing mains electrics. The plastics they use in junction boxes, sockets etc gives off a distinctive whiff.
They do. DID! :okay:

My convector heater, before I repaired it!

Seevio

Guru
Amazing how it takes the heat out of chillies etc I wouldn't have thought that was a taste thing.
I also wouldn't have thought the burning sensation was just a taste thing. While my previous post was just a bit of fun, in all seriousness, why not see how hot you can go while you have the chance? Hopefully you won't get another opportunity like this.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
His wasn’t Covid-related.

Derrick's wasn't either unfortunately.

I wonder if the cold damaged your BIL's smell receptors beyond repair then?, pretty bad outcome from a cold.

I smell electronic components and wiring at work as well to gauge severity of a fault, never thought of that one!.

Might try a Grim Reaper curry, that was my limit spice wise and oddly enjoyable so will be interesting what it tastes like now.

Chewed a couple of whole dried Chipotle chillies yesterday and nothing at all.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Lost my sense of smell and taste around 15 years ago. Diagnosed chronic rhinitis. Happened during the building of a house extension when builders were cutting concrete and stone with cutting discs producing clouds of dust. I spent my working life working with clay and plaster and had become sensitized to them, resulting in dry cracked skin if I even touch them, and I think this is connected. After some years I regained partial sense of taste and smell, but then a year ago moved to newly built house and both senses lost again - fine dust from plaster and building work nearby thought to be responsible. Food can be very boring, and I do worry that I can't smell solvents and petrol :sad:.

Christ I never realised so many people were suffering from a lack of sense of taste and smell. I felt sorry for myself at the height of my worst experience of covid when I was outside in my dressing gown unable to breathe and desperately waiting for the ambulance to arrive to give me oxygen at 2am in the morning but that experience was relatively short although very extreme and due to my body damaging my own lungs fighting covid but I live for food and would really not appreciate losing my sense of taste and smell over the long term. Best wishes to all and a rapid recovery. This image probably best expresses what I felt like at the time.

n-Total-Recall.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=740&h=370&dpr=1.jpg

Top Bottom