When does bad driving become attempted murder?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cycling home tonight a driver tried to kill me. At least he did as far as i'm concerned.

Two solid lanes of stationary traffic up to red lights. I carefully and slowly filtered to nr the front and stopped a couple of cars short of the junction itself. There was no space in the nearside lane as it was bumper to bumper so I tucked into the outside lane. The lights changed a few seconds later and immediately the driver behind started leaning on the horn. I was already moving and looking to pull into the nearside lane. The driver was centimetres of my rear tyre and weaving about trying to undertake overtake me on the inside. There wasn't enough space so he overtook on the outside instead then braked and swerved in front forcing me to head for the kerb and stop. I had been up to about 18 mph. He was shouting something like: "Get out of the middle of the road you farking daffodil".

No cycle cam footage and not sure about CCTV cams. Loads of witnesses in other vehicles but no one stopped.This was intentional and unprovoked. It could have resulted in serious injury to me and my possible death. Do you think GMP will view it the same way? I'm waiting for a call back.

sabian92

Über Member
Report it to the Police if you think it's that bad and see what they do. Do it quickly as they'll be able to pull CCTV if there is any. If you wait it might be deleted.

He does sound like a right cock though.

Pauluk

If I filter I always want to know what opportunity I have ahead and that I am not going to inconvenience anyone else by jumping the queue. It sounds to me that's what you may have done as you had filtered then moved from the inside lane to the outside then wanted to get back to the inside. That's ok in stationary traffic as long as you are out of the way or in a good position when everything starts moving.

Having said that, his behaviour seemed well over the top and out of order.

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
If I filter I always want to know what opportunity I have ahead and that I am not going to inconvenience anyone else by jumping the queue. It sounds to me that's what you may have done as you had filtered then moved from the inside lane to the outside then wanted to get back to the inside
Not quite. I filtered between the long lanes of stationary traffic. I was doing <10mph. There was loads of room. I also had a front flasher on even though it was daylight.

...as long as you are out of the way or in a good position when everything starts moving.
The lights were still red when I got to them and there was no space ahead of the traffic so I stopped a couple of cars back from the junction. The only space between vehicles was in the outside lane. I might add this was in a 30 mph limit on a downhill where I get to 20-25mph within a few seconds of setting off. I wasn't going to inconvenience anyone and intended to merge into the nearside lane as soon as was practical.

Octet

Veteran
I suppose it is just one of those unfortunate things that happens. I wouldn't go as saying it is attempted murder as the driver most likely was just impatient and thus I would say dangerous driving for sure. As suggested (and as you have done), report it to the police.

(sorry, Grammar thing here. It isn't undertook (unless he did kill you... in which case it would be murder), he overtook on the inside or outside. Regardless of position it is still overtaking.)

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
(sorry, Grammar thing here. It isn't undertook (unless he did kill you... in which case it would be murder), he overtook on the inside or outside. Regardless of position it is still overtaking.)
It was undertaking when I was a lad. Still, when I was lad I used to tell my Dad how cars were "takingover" us on the road, so what do I know?

cycleruk

it really boils down to one thing, proof, do you have the evidence to back up what you are saying, if you dont then im afraid to say the police will not want to know about it. :sad:

I hate bad drivers, i hope you dont get anymore of them, I come across drivers all the time who think i shouldnt be on the road and therefore abuse me, i know you cant always see bikes from behind but i was aproaching a red light in a bright green illuminouse jacket a helmet and a bike i could see a car on the side i assumed it would wait for me to pass but NOPE it just decided to keep going and pull out while i was passing it. it didnt hit me but was right by me, grrr

he probably saw you coming from way back and as you had the temerity to get in front of him, felt you deserved punishment.

I've been involved in a similar incident while travelling in a van. We found ourselves in the wrong lane and had to cut in left, our driver began signalling even before we started moving and this old bloke behind/left to us starting going apoplectic. He did a dangerous overtake and slammed on, forcing a go-slow in front of us for a good 5 miles, wasting his own time and winding himself up into a frenzy. eventually he got bored but he definately wanted a confrontation. perhaps not a wise move on his part with 6 lads and lots of music equipment as makeshift weapons in the van...

there are some right ignorant, dangerous morons out there.

ive driven a car being behind cyclist as well they were going 35 miles an hour down hill it was 4mph and i didnt even attempt to overtake them cos it wouldnt have been practical or safe so i stayed behind, yet i see people doing it to me all the time, i only pass them down the road ltr on if they dont block me from passing them

Top Bottom