When I Was 17 ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Oh dear, I think my memory must be fading. My Dad's just informed me that the shop I got my Carlton from was Vic Moores (Stockport) and not Halfords. He's right :blush:.
I thought Halfrauds sounded a bit wrong but heigh-ho we're all getting on a bit. :biggrin:

Reactions: JtB

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Never had a good bike when I was young...got by on mediocre Peugeots and Batavus...then gave up cycling for years, in favour of motorbikes. When I decided to try again, I got an old Dawes off ebay, which served me fine for a year or so, then I got lucky. A Carlton Criterium.

With no real idea what I'd actually bought (for £21, I remember clearly), I picked it up on the way back from a holiday, stuck it in the back of the car, and drove it home. That was my introduction to what cycling could be. Wonderful machine. Sprightly, tight, way more responsive than anything I'd ever ridden. Ended up having that bike for about four or five years, including periods when I lent it to two different friends, both of whom liked it as much as I had.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I think in 1978 I had a Schwinn Voyageur at home, and a Raleigh DL-1 or such rod-brake goodness at University. My bike, but rather common property among myself and my roomates. I think I walked five or so miles from town to buy it , at some church whose source of funding for outreach was a lot full of bicycles .

Top Bottom