When I were a lad-the Horseshoe Pass!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I remember as a lad (only 50 years ago) on my 3 gear sturmy archer......cycling up the Horshoe Pass nar Llangollen..........anyone else done this (on any bike)^_^

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Did it about 4 years ago, on my Carbon Uberbike. I subsequently worked out that Horseshoe Pass 4 times on the trot added up to Mont Ventoux, and my fate was sealed...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've never ridden it. I always thought it was supposed to be a monstrous climb, but I've just plotted it with my mapping software and it turns out to be virtually identical in profile to the climb out of Hebden Bridge on the Keighley Road which is very steady, averaging 5%.

I must be thinking of some other famous Welsh climb?

Ha. I've found it - Bwlch y Groes! That's a nasty-looking climb gaining 375 metres in 2.9 km, an average of 12.9%! :eek:

dodgy

The Horseshoe Pass features on many of my rides into Wales. It's not *that* bad. A reasonably constant 5% or so, with a steepish ramp near the start at the Britannia Inn, followed by another steep bit on the actual corners of the shoe itself. If you want a real challenge, ride up the 'old shoe' which is a tarmac track that goes behind the cafe at the top....

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
The Horseshoe Pass features on many of my rides into Wales. It's not *that* bad. A reasonably constant 5% or so, with a steepish ramp near the start at the Britannia Inn, followed by another steep bit on the actual corners of the shoe itself. If you want a real challenge, ride up the 'old shoe' which is a tarmac track that goes behind the cafe at the top....
Ah! but did you do it on a 1963 steel wheeled Sturmy Archer 3 gear:sweat:

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Went there many times om a 3 speed around that time. I remember one memorable ride when we de3cided to visit Castell Dinas Bran, nice ride up there but the descent....! I had replaced the brake blocks the night before but had made one slight mistake. Ever had four brake blocks go 'ping' and shoot off like machine gun bullets? Fortunately there were three of us so i borrowed two brake blocks from John and both of us rode home om front brake only.
Last time I climbed the Horseshoe, it was on a club ride and our oldest member Bill Murphy (late 70s) climbed it on a 3 speed - it was on his new bile as he called it; it was a new bike - well it was in 1937!

ColinJ

I had replaced the brake blocks the night before but had made one slight mistake. Ever had four brake blocks go 'ping' and shoot off like machine gun bullets?
You accidentally swapped the left and right brake block holders so the pads were ejected on braking rather than being forced further into the holders?

If so, how come you didn't destroy your wheel rims?

Alun

Guru
You accidentally swapped the left and right brake block holders so the pads were ejected on braking rather than being forced further into the holders?

Steel wheels Colin, real metal !

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart

No just put them in backwards with open end forward.
As Alun said - steel wheels and shoes possibly did not touch rims

dodgy

Did it once on a 3 speed shopping bike that belonged to my sister, I'd forgotten all about it until your post! I was on holiday with some mates in a nearby caravan and we all rode up it on borrowed bikes! None of us were 'cyclists' back then.
Admittedly, I had to stop a few times.

ColinJ

No just put them in backwards with open end forward.
As Alun said - steel wheels and shoes possibly did not touch rims
That's what I meant! Mine have to be swapped L-R to do that (unless you put them in upside down with the wheel guides facing upwards instead of downwards).

If the blocks were out and the shoes didn't touch the rims, how did you stop?

I wrecked an alloy rim when my front blocks wore through on a fast descent!

Holdsworth

Über Member
I went up the "easy" way from the Ruthin side last year, still I had to stop once before reaching the top. The descent down into Llangollen on the other side was well worth it though :bicycle:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
It is a brilliant descent into Llangollen.
I was once persuaded not to try it on a Brompton, which I happened to have in the car.
I resolved not to tell her until afterwards next time!!!

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
My normal route took me - Frodsham, Helsby, Queensferry, Ewloe. First part was OK especially that nice bend as you approached RAF Sealand but then the Ewloe - always hated that hill. Nice on the way back down it to go home but... Through Sealand to the lights and turn right onto what we used to call the 'Shell Road' where the oil refineries are. try that on a cold wet night; appeared to be straight, slightly uphill and the wind and rain was always in your face. Always a relief to get to Helsby but the 'pain' was not over yet! Another hill that used to get me was from the Bear's Paw pub lights at Frodshan - always had a mental block there and my last hill of the day was at Clifton, Runcorn - either the old Clifton Road pre new town or the Clifton Expressway. Yes I know there is a cycle path at the riding school that leads to Beechwood but that's another 'hill from hell' Still it's all part of the joys of cycling!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Something like 26 years ago on the tandem, with our daughter swaddled in the childseat. It was a time of snow, ice and icicles.

Top Bottom