When is a woman too old

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Three replies, unassailable in their logic, but, I would suggest, possibly of rather limited help in the real world in which emotions are not susceptible to logic.

ETA: now five straight responses...
My reply wasn't intended to be logical. It was intended as a direct appeal to emotion, hence the strong language.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
As everyone else has said, it doesn't matter what you wear. The only important thing is that you are getting out, getting exercise and having fun. Fun is the most important bit of all. Don't even think about what you are wearing. Just enjoy yourself. Good luck.:okay: and enjoy the ride.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
To wear lycra cycling shorts? Over past year due to various reasons i have gained 20lb and havent cycled much. So today i set off looking like a fat little old lady when i suddenly felt very self concious so ended up going off track and cutting ride short.
Feeling really peed off and angry at myself for letting myself get like this, yet got back and had 2 slices of bread and pate !
Should i chuck the shorts or just go out in the dark ! I do have a couple of pairs of *skorts^ but too fat for them :hungry:
Who cares what people think

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
To wear lycra cycling shorts?

When she's dead.

Wear what makes you comfortable. I have discovered through bitter experience that shorts that are too small are uncomfortable and make me self-conscious. I now have a few pairs of these: https://fatladattheback.com which are well made and big enough. I'm also quite happy pootling around in ordinary clothes.

vickster

Legendary Member
Three replies, unassailable in their logic, but, I would suggest, possibly of rather limited help in the real world in which emotions are not susceptible to logic.

ETA: now five straight responses...
I’m a large lady and cycle in Lycra. I get catcalled often but I just ignore the brain dead idiots**

** aka men, often fat, bald, ugly (At least 2 and often 3)

Last edited:

swansonj

Guru
I’m a large lady and cycle in Lycra. I get catcalled often but I just ignore the brain dead idiots**

** aka men, often fat, bald, ugly
Excellent. I salute you (not, of course, that you need any approbation from me).

My concern is that when a person manifestly does care what other people think - which is how I read the OP - simply saying "who cares what other people think" may not actually be very effective at addressing their needs. Indeed, I'd have thought that, in general, when someone says "I have a problem" and the response is "well you shouldn't have" - or even more so, if the response is edging in the direction of "I don't have a problem so you shouldn't" - the exchange may not have been terribly fruitful.

I do recognise that part of the solution is indeed other people setting an example, and I don't want to decry the good intentions of anyone. But that doesn't quite offset my queezyness at the tone of the initial replies in this thread.

Top Bottom