When is cycling not enjoyable.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paul04

Über Member
Looking out of the window this morning, its looked ok outside, I like cycling on a quiet sunday morning, no crazy car drivers rushing to work,no parents on the school run, all trying for that bit of space on the road, and sod any cyclist that get in the way.

But this sunday morning, having a nice lie in bed. gettin up without nothing to do apart from a nice bike ride. I opened the front door to be greeted by a arctic blast of wind, my god it was cold, I thought I better put on a extra coat before I get on the bike, I will soon warm up I thought.

Then a mile down the road, with that arctic wind blowing into my face, my teeth were chattering, and could not even feel my fingers, I headed back home, even now with a nice cup of tea and the heating on I am still feeling the cold.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Sounds like a good decision to me - a Sunday morning ride is supposed to be enjoyable!

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Lidls doing base layers on Monday for a tenner. Cold is ok if you have enough layers plus a buff ,skull cap and winter gloves. I dont take too many risks if its black ice weather ie cold after wet but the cold on its own is ok.

Probably colder where you are than here but after the initial cold blast once warmed up I enjoyed my ride this morning, noticeabley few other cyclists out though.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Looking out of the window this morning, its looked ok outside, I like cycling on a quiet sunday morning, no crazy car drivers rushing to work,no parents on the school run, all trying for that bit of space on the road, and sod any cyclist that get in the way.

But this sunday morning, having a nice lie in bed. gettin up without nothing to do apart from a nice bike ride. I opened the front door to be greeted by a arctic blast of wind, my god it was cold, I thought I better put on a extra coat before I get on the bike, I will soon warm up I thought.

Then a mile down the road, with that arctic wind blowing into my face, my teeth were chattering, and could not even feel my fingers, I headed back home, even now with a nice cup of tea and the heating on I am still feeling the cold.
Pffffttt!!...MTFU!!!....are you a northerner or not?!.....:smile::smile::smile::smile::whistle:

Radchenister

Veteran
Serious answer - I almost headed for home about 300 yrds out when first tackling rides in the snowy period a few weeks back. I've since got much better at judging appropriate kit to suit conditions.

I find the choice of layer numbers and thickness can be adjusted to suit, I check the temp and wind speed / direction before going out and I have a couple of different weight jackets ready (one for just moderate cold / damp and one more suitable for Arctic north winds).

I am now quite particular with head wear, I pull a Buff up over my head when it's just a little cold (this can be worn around the neck if you heat up beyond finding it comfortable, by pulling it down whilst moving or taken off and put in a pocket).

If it's really cold I've got a full fleece 'snood' thing, that leaves my eyes, nose and mouth visible (you can go even more covered but I'm happy with that) - I use quite large Bloc glasses that keep most of the face shielded.

I tend to find that an open vented helmet, when used straight into the cold wind, is a real shock to the system when first out, so the head gear choice is key for me.

It's all a balancing act between being comfortable when first out and not too hot when warmed up.

Also, don't stop for too long and cool down until you're home to that cup of tea, warm bath and sofa etc.

Not forgetting good gloves (again, not too hot and not too cold).

Feet suffer on longer rides - I might get some neoprene overshoes next winter but have got by with thick socks to date ... it's practically spring now down south, so not worth buying these 'til next year IMO ;) .

Nearly there

Veteran
Its snowing on and off here but not laying with a 30 mph freezing easterly wind,I keep going out the back door trying to man up a bit and thinking about how many strava records I could potentially destroy with the wind at my back:whistle: but the thought of fighting a head wind that strong combined with the wind chill is putting me off.:surrender:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
When my eyes keep watering due to the cold, going downhill i realise that i'm putting myself in danger. I'm toying with the idea of going a ride this afternoon, but that freezing easterly wind is very off putting!:cold:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I rode this morning in the OP's locale. 42 miles, ~4200 ft climbing, it was freezing, but still enjoyable, I don't mind the cold.

It was not without caution though, it was VERY windy, I got blown about a fair bit but no major worries but then there was the snow drifts across the road up in Macc forest, to watch an accomplished crosser skidding about looking nervous and like he is about to deck it, well that was a bit of a :eek: moment. I was glad we were at the highest point by then and could get back down.

ice , snow and freezing conditions are not for me any more

Nor me - in fact, they never have been!

The weather here this morning was fabulous: deep blue sky and bright sun. The only problem was it was -6 and quite windy. Apart from the still-icy roads (the sun is low and doesn't penetrate the shadows), where the roads are clear there is grit all over the place making braking/turning at speed a risky business.

I'll have to wait another 3-4 weeks before I venture out again.

Top Bottom