When is it going to stop... Raining

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
sunniest place this winter ..
Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Moray

Its not often you hear these words in the same sentence. :okay:

bobzmyunkle

Über Member
Well this continuous rain is causing problems.
Winter wheels have officially given up the ghost. Summer wheels have larger tyres which won't go under mudguards.
Ditch the mudguards?
Switch the tyres?
Buy a new set of winter wheels?
Buy a new bike?

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well this continuous rain is causing problems.
Winter wheels have officially given up the ghost. Summer wheels have larger tyres which won't go under mudguards.
Ditch the mudguards?
Switch the tyres?
Buy a new set of winter wheels?
Buy a new bike?

The last two - bike and wheels. This is the first year three of my bikes have 'spare' wheels. I accumulated 'spares' last year - so much easier swapping a wheel on a whim.

I lived in England between 2002 and 2017, originally in Liverpool, then around various parts of Manchester / Salford. Having now moved to the east side of central Scotland the weather is definitely better here with notably less rainfall per annum.

I think living in Manchester would put anyone off England. Even a pleasant period living in Liverpool before it would get forgotten by a stay in Manchester area. :laugh:

Alex321

Veteran
Its not often you hear these words in the same sentence. :okay:

It is probably quite commoin though, as it is on the East cost, and ineed fairly far North East, which should make it one of the sunniest parts of the UK.

The West of the island of GB is generally much wetter than the East

Well here in south Cumbria it's looking like I'll have to pull the curtain over to stop the sun hitting my monitor again! Rather annoying having to keep the curtains partly closed in the daylight. Stops me seeing across half the valley to the local landmark hill. I like nice weather but it can be frustrating at times! :laugh:

Slick

Guru
It is probably quite commoin though, as it is on the East cost, and ineed fairly far North East, which should make it one of the sunniest parts of the UK.

The West of the island of GB is generally much wetter than the East

Probably, but it does seem particularly prevalent to the north, due to the mountains.

Its almost like the clouds can't get over them and dump their load before they get to places like Inverness.

Of course, that's only true when the weather is coming from the West.

Also, lok at the shape of Scotland, as Inverness is further west than some towns people consider westerly. :blink:

Alex321

Veteran
Probably, but it does seem particularly prevalent to the north, due to the mountains.

Its almost like the clouds can't get over them and dump their load before they get to places like Inverness.

Of course, that's only true when the weather is coming from the West.

Also, lok at the shape of Scotland, as Inverness is further west than some towns people consider westerly. :blink:

Yeah, basically any part of the UK which has mountains to the West or South-West between them and the Atlantic should be drier than parts which don't.

Because the prevailing weather in the UK does come from the South West.

Obviously, this doesn't necessarily mean it will be drier on any given day, because "prevailing" isn't the same as "always", but it will be true more often than it isn't.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I think living in Manchester would put anyone off England. Even a pleasant period living in Liverpool before it would get forgotten by a stay in Manchester area. :laugh:

It's actually a great city and we have nice countryside and proper hills. Liverpool, similar, except it's too flat and has water on one side.
Us locals are akin to fish !

Warm and bright today.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I was just reading how March 2024 broke all sorts of heat records around the world. Not in blinking Norn Iron it didn't - rain, rain and extra rain.

I've lost count how times recently I've went out for a wee cycle or walk with the dog in decent weather, only to get totally drenched within the next 5 minutes.

Living in Coleraine that was 'normal'; it was a combination of sun, rain, wind, hail - generally changing every few minutes.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Screenshot_20240411-142800~2.png

It's bad around Hamtun!!

Top Bottom