When off the peg new bikes start costing more than some new cars - !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

freiston

Veteran
Metallic Black,

View attachment 419214

No 'Gumwalls' though
My bike is metallic black too - not by choice - the manufacturer only do it in one colour and they change it each year. The year I ordered mine, they were blue (or green - can't remember) but they had run out so I got the next year's model. If I could choose the colour, it wouldn't be black but I can live with it and it's not high up in my list of priorities. Mine looks bronze in certain light:

43386159121_aa6fd192aa_c.jpg

freiston

Veteran
Re. the OP - I can appreciate that quality can cost and that there are economies of scale in production, but my thoughts are akin to the OP and to KneesUp's on this. I once saw a bicycle in a shop for £18,000 - more than a brand new Kawasaki Ninja. Thinking about the R&D, the materials, manufacture of the components and the assembly, it's hard to see how the push-bike costs more than the motorbike (except for people actually being prepared to pay that kind of money).

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Thinking about the R&D, the materials, manufacture of the components and the assembly, it's hard to see how the push-bike costs more than the motorbike.

There is very little R&D required in the manufacture of bicycles. The basic parameters of overall layout and geometry are well proven for over a hundred years, and most bike components are bought in from established manufacturers like Shimano etc, who have already done their own R&D and have been churning out the same designs by the million for years. It's just pick & mix assembly done at different groupset price points, depending on the target market for the finished product.
What you do get in cycling is a lot of advertising & marketing activity, which is ultimately paid for by the gullible customers,

Tin Pot

Guru
The carbon molds cost money, the design of the molds costs money (savings if you take up someone else’s last year model), the “print run” costs money...you have to guess how many sales you think you’ll make and place your order with the Asian company to make them, then pay to have them finished and shipped over, then built...then pick a price point that you think will get you past break even without putting the punters off.

Invariably your sales are too low to get a reasonable cost from your suppliers, and the retail price can’t be put high enough to cover the outgoings. Your customers complain they’ve been ripped off, you’re out of pocket, the bank/cloud funders wants their money back and you go bankrupt.

Only the factory makes reliable money.

freiston

Veteran
The carbon molds cost money, the design of the molds costs money (savings if you take up someone else’s last year model), the “print run” costs money...you have to guess how many sales you think you’ll make and place your order with the Asian company to make them, then pay to have them finished and shipped over, then built...then pick a price point that you think will get you past break even without putting the punters off.

Invariably your sales are too low to get a reasonable cost from your suppliers, and the retail price can’t be put high enough to cover the outgoings. Your customers complain they’ve been ripped off, you’re out of pocket, the bank/cloud funders wants their money back and you go bankrupt.

Only the factory makes reliable money.
If that were [invariably] true then there would be a history of short-lived but defunct companies, possibly a small number of new companies yet to go bust and not one bank prepared to back the venture.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
There is very little R&D required in the manufacture of bicycles. The basic parameters of overall layout and geometry are well proven for over a hundred years, and most bike components are bought in from established manufacturers like Shimano etc, who have already done their own R&D and have been churning out the same designs by the million for years. It's just pick & mix assembly done at different groupset price points, depending on the target market for the finished product.
What you do get in cycling is a lot of advertising & marketing activity, which is ultimately paid for by the gullible customers,

Get your head out of the skip mate and treat yourself to a new bike. You will love it and hopefully stop being so grumpy .

Top Bottom