When off the peg new bikes start costing more than some new cars - !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
and would you say that most people who comment positively and have purchased such a bike, if honest, are trying to legitimise their purchase? This isn't about being able to afford or not but about the justification of the price tag. Your comment does come across as back-handed snobbery.

Not meant to be.

Alan O

Über Member
I can sell you an abstract painting by a very talented cat for a few thousand if you want - art critics do have a record of praising the brush strokes of animals so no worries there.
What, do you think I have more money than sense? :laugh:

freiston

Veteran
Sure, but doesn't the possession of money also help determine what's sensible to spend? Surely a sensible level of expenditure depends on how much you have?
More money means you can afford to spend more - it doesn't make a higher price more sensible to pay.

Julia9054

Guru
I am normal.
I have a normal amount of money. Anyone with less than me is poor, anyone with more than me is too rich.
The things I like to spend my disposable income on (bicycles, shoes, poncey craft ales, eating out) are a good idea and a sensible purchase.
Things that other people spend their disposable income on that don't interest me (cars, package holidays, designer handbags, football season tickets) are a waste of money.
I am normal (but also unique and special)

Alan O

Über Member
I am normal.
I have a normal amount of money. Anyone with less than me is poor, anyone with more than me is too rich.
The things I like to spend my disposable income on (bicycles, shoes, poncey craft ales, eating out) are a good idea and a sensible purchase.
Things that other people spend their disposable income on that don't interest me (cars, package holidays, designer handbags, football season tickets) are a waste of money.
I am normal (but also unique and special)
I used far more words trying to express the same idea - you have it in a nutshell!

Alan O

Über Member
More money means you can afford to spend more - it doesn't make a higher price more sensible to pay.
I don't understand your point here. Do you mean it doesn't make sense to pay a higher price for the same thing? That's obviously true, and nobody is suggesting it. But if you mean having more money doesn't mean it's sensible to consider higher entry prices into a market, then I think that is obviously false.

bladesman73

Über Member
I have a mate who spends thousands on bikes/wheels/parts just so that he can feel superior to his mates. Always has to have something more expensive. Albeit this is a chap who I knew from uni who used to tell people how much his clothes cost. He obv has self esteem issues. The takeaway from this is dont buy stuff to impress others, buy it for yourself, and if that means paying 11k for a bike so be it.

I have a mate who spends thousands on bikes/wheels/parts just so that he can feel superior to his mates. Always has to have something more expensive. Albeit this is a chap who I knew from uni who used to tell people how much his clothes cost. He obv has self esteem issues. The takeaway from this is dont buy stuff to impress others, buy it for yourself, and if that means paying 11k for a bike so be it.
I've met guitarists like that...

Top Bottom