When to get a new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
About half an hour after the last one always works In my book :laugh:
It's 'bike o'clock somewhere.

View: https://youtu.be/BPCjC543llU

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
My 38 year old Claud Butler, with mudguards and a rack got me an 11th spot out of over 7000 riders on one local Stacros segment.
Pah! 11th doesn't even get you on the list grandad! 10th or better is where it's at....

1621075966202.png

Pretty good for a 1996 bike with a 1973 rider IMO.

battered

Guru
Replace? No no... you don't replace... you enhance your collection.

Seriously though I've never worn a bike out, I've added one or two gradually to the garage over several years when I fancied something new, and then some years later I've sold on a bike that hasn't been ridden for a while and which has possibly fallen out of favour. I reckon that's what quite a lot of cyclists do.
I have worn a bike out, in fact a couple, but never all at the same time. This is the snag. If your MTB needs new forks and brakes, now, chances are that it's a few years old, worth very little, and the cheapest option is to renew it. But they don't pack up in the same week.
My commuter/tourer/back is 25 years old. I've worn it out many times over. One repair episode cost me more than it was worth, 15 years ago, I now run it on used spares from my own and other people 's bits box. A new wheel alone would render it BER, but I have spares to see me out.

Drago

Legendary Member
Pah! 11th doesn't even get you on the list grandad! 10th or better is where it's at....

View attachment 588788

Pretty good for a 1996 bike with a 1973 rider IMO.
I do (or did, I've given up with Stavros and it may have been beaten by now) have a KoM, but I think I pushed myself dangerously hard getting it - once I'd passed the finish of the segment I eased off and almost fainted. That was on a 6 year old aluminium framed Felt with Tiagra, not a new plastic rocket with Durategra.

Top Bottom