When will they learn?.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Now stocking up on mince pies and Christmas pudding sounds like a good idea :hungry: but then I would only eat them
My thought exactly, Biggs. Better DOUBLE the next purchase. Seriously, though… here in the States during the first blast of COVID, people went crazy stocking up on toilet paper. (We bought extra as well, I must admit.) Only to find out later that there was no reason to do so as all of our supplies are made right here in the US anyway, no long waits for shipping vessels to bring it in, and we never had a shortage. But the grocers were certainly caught off guard when customers were clearing the shelves four times as fast! It got to the point that they put up signs on the shelves with purchase limits. Note that we are in round two of the pandemic (Delta) I think the thing we need to accept is that with our food products we may often need to choose substitutes to what we are used to buying. But hey, we’re not gonna starve. We live in such a small flat that we couldn’t overstock much even out we wanted too. We’re all gonna be okay. But a few extra mince pies in the house still sounds good to me, Ming, who needs an excuse to do that? :rolleyes:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Think I'll stick to my usual panic buying on 23rd and 24th December. It's never let me down yet and if I can't get it then, we'll just have to manage without.....

My former lodger used to do his Christmas shopping on Christmas eve afternoon. The shops were nearly empty, and those blokes actually shopping (and they were all blokes) weren't fannying around but were totally focussed on buying their 6 presents in the hour's shopping remaining. It worked for him, but is a bit close to the wire, even for me

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Just half heard a news piece on the radio at lunchtime about warnings being issued not to panic buy/stockpile for Christmas because of fears over HGV driver shortages and supply issues.

Now call me stupid, but surely that little request is going to have exactly the opposite effect? Heck, I've done the family shop this very morning but now think I should head back and pick up a case or two of mince pies, just in case...... :wacko:

Exactly!

We did our weekly shop (ASDA) this morning. Quite a few items out of stock, but, I noticed the "Christmas Booze" aisles were full to overflowing (literally, ie cartons of booze stacked in the aisles and at end of aisles). Not a bad sales tactic, "buy early for Christmas just in case", then, drink it before Christmas, and, buy some more.

I did resist the booze.... honest ;)

Last edited:
I bought my Lidl gluehwein as soon as I saw it in the shop. It's the same brand I used to buy when I lived in Berlin, well over 20 years ago, and I simply LOVE it. For the past couple of years, various things conspired against me and it was always out of stock when I looked for it; this year I saw it - and went back the next day in a taxi! - to get half a dozen bottles.

That's my Christmas sorted, couple of mugs of that of an evening when its cold and wet and windy, and I'm happy.

I did the same with my Lidl pony. :okay:

si_c

Guru
Heck, I've done the family shop this very morning but now think I should head back and pick up a case or two of mince pies, just in case...... :wacko:
I'm avoiding shops to avoid stocking up on mince pies for this very reason.
Now stocking up on mince pies and Christmas pudding sounds like a good idea :hungry: but then I would only eat them
yep.

You've never felt the need for a mince pie at 03:00 then? Only to find none in the cupboard?
Frequently. In fact there are rarely mince pies in the cupboard regardless of time or whether any have been bought today or not.

I've been known to go to the shop before dinner to get milk, get mince pies, make a brew and eat the entire pack before dinner is ready.

Edit to add: The worst ones are the bite size ones. One mouthful each and a near perfect balance of mince and pie.

carpiste

Guru
There`ll be a usual shop for us at Christmas but MrsC will add a packet of mince pies and a pack of Stollen. I did buy a bottle of Margot 8 year old Whisky today from Lidl so that`s me sorted. Anything we can`t get will be replaced by something else. There are plenty of alternatives to be had.

Top Bottom