When will they learn?.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carpiste

Guru
Toy shortage looming for Christmas .I guess alot of folk are going to lose their marbles over it . So buy spares early .
Dag damn! Why wasn`t this panic business happening years ago when the daughter was after the latest toy or gadget!
They say kids today are fully aware of what`s happening in the World so let them know Santa has had COVID, so have is Elves and the Reindeer and that they will have to just make do this year😄
Silver lining I say :okay:;)

Can I ask, what actually is it? what's the main alcohol constituent - some sort of cheap wine?
How strong?
(always an important consideration for me - otherwise it's my normal water with limes tipple)

It's a cheap full bodied red wine; traditionally it is simmered with orange zest, spices of your choice and some sugar. I was first introduced to gluehwein when I was working in Austria and I had never tasted ANYTHING so delicious in my life. The Christkindl brand which Lidl stocks is the nearest I can get to the flavour I remember from over 50 years ago; when I came across it by chance in Berlin over 20 years ago I was ecstatic to find it was a ready-made product, and to find it in Lidl when I returned to the UK from Australia was like finding heaven in a bottle!

All of the UK brands and supermarket brands of ready-made mulled wine are too ... something ... for me. All different things. One has too much ginger, another is overpoweringly cloves, another is too tannin-y; only the Christkindl brand is tastes 'right' for me - what I do is add some water and some orange juice and (sometimes!) put a small tot of brandy into it when it's heated. THEN it is perfect.

It's one of those things that can be as alcoholic, or not, as you prefer. If you heat it slowly to evaporate off the alcohol, and dilute it somewhat with water/juice, obvs it won't be as alcoholic as if you nuke it and put a dash of brandy in it ... I've put the bottles at the back of the cupboard until the end of the month so can't easily get at them to see the bottle's alcohol w/v or %. It seems stronger than it is, because of being heated I think it's probably absorbed faster!

Whittards uses to make a mulled wine flavour instant tea which, while it obviously didn't have the alcohol content or effect, was nevertheless a pretty good replica of the general flavour profile of what I think of as good gluehwein; its main (and quite serious, IMO) fault was that it was too sweet. It was a very pleasant diluent, though, for some of the over-spiced and even slightly bitter British mulled wine brands.

Sadly I can't make my own as it is something that's better brewed 'in quantity' for serving to a group of people and making an individual mug of it isn't really a practical proposition, hence my delight at finding a good ready-made one.

Can I ask, what actually is it? what's the main alcohol constituent - some sort of cheap wine?
How strong?
(always an important consideration for me - otherwise it's my normal water with limes tipple)

It's about 8-10% I think, served warm.
Fortunately Germans seem to get merry rather than aggressive when tipsy or Christmas markets would be a complete nightmare.

Christmas is religious? I thought it was a kind of gluttony festival and an annual inventory of how well the sprogs were doing :laugh:

I know someone who greets people in December with the words "Merry pagan shopping festival..."

I see toy retailers are now warning of christmas shortages.

Doubtless a deliberate tactic, as the stampede these words will cause will doubtless make up for the dire first half of the year they endured.

This is a problem: we've trained consumers to think in terms of scarcity ("Limited stocks", "Offer only while stocks last" et c.) so when genuine shortages are announced, then people have an almost automatic reaction.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
christmas day is just the same as any other day on the calendar.....what is it with people that go to the supermarkets and fill 3 trollies just for 1 day. i mean the shops are back open boxing day, its not like in the 70s and 80s where shops were shut for a few days

get a grip people

Drago

Legendary Member
I think thats Jowwer's way of telling us he doesn't want ant presents this year :okay:

But the hirsute one makes a fair point. We have people on this forum - me included - whittling on about the planet a and the environment, yet come christmas day there will be the inevitable thread on this very forum from the same people gleefully telling the audience about the useless consumer tat they received.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I think thats Jowwer's way of telling us he doesn't want ant presents this year :okay:

But the hirsute one makes a fair point. We have people on this forum - me included - whittling on about the planet a and the environment, yet come christmas day there will be the inevitable thread on this very forum from the same people gleefully telling the audience about the useless consumer tat they received.
Me and the Mrs stopped doing presents a few years ago and decided holidays were a better way of enjoying our money......i mean people get bought stuff year round these days, so christmas as lost its glee for some

T4tomo

Legendary Member
christmas day is just the same as any other day on the calendar.....what is it with people that go to the supermarkets and fill 3 trollies just for 1 day. i mean the shops are back open boxing day, its not like in the 70s and 80s where shops were shut for a few days

get a grip people
Indeed, its a sunday lunch, but with turkey, if that's your thing, and normally you're to full from lunch to want much in the evening.

as for panic buying presents, most of the kids of tis world could manage fine without another round of imported Chinese plastic that gets played with a for a day or two and then lies in cupboard.

Top Bottom