When will you quit ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It appears to be common for riders to lose their confidence as they get older, I know several older riders who have problems with that, personally I'm in my mid 60's, so a comparative youngster, and I'm not as confident as i once was. Dementia brings everything to a halt, I'm a member of a pensioners club and one of the organisers is developing dementia and will soon have to quit, I lost a friend to dementia a few years ago and it's a horrible illness and one of the few things I dread getting as I get older.

I have kept a record of my stats more or less since I started cycling again and now after some broken bones find that the hills I climbed before are steeper or appear to be! and the distances are some what shorter as I wold think nothing of a 40 or 50 mile ride now its an effort or is it me thinking that because I'm 5 years older and in my 70's I can't do the distance but then perhaps its one of the joys of ageing Though as long as I can get on the bike I'm set on riding it to my last

johnbot1

Bought my first ebike last year (at 77yrs) I've cycled all my life and have kept my Carrera Mountain and Raleigh tourer in the garage , my knees are starting to wear out now but I can still manage 40-50mls at a steady 15mph (with spare battery) and enjoy browsing the country side, I'll carry on until I can't then sell up.

12boy

Guru
I have read many of us have a biological clock that goes off in the late 80s, if not before, and regardless of exercise, careful diet, not smoking etc lots of people decline fairly rapidly after that. Even were that true, the quality of life until that point will be a lot better with daily doses of bike medicine. In my opinion, there are only 4 critical things required to enjoy retirement....enough money to not worry about it all the time, people you love, your health and something you are interested in. Bicycling hits the last two for me. Dogs are good too.

CXRAndy

Guru
I started late 40's cycling, will continue under my own steam until i cant do the climbs and then I'll move onto electric assist

Been on a bike since 1967 at 3 years old. More into a sport at 28. Now 56 and still riding. After 26 years and getting the wife involved the last 24 years, I don't see any plans to stop anytime soon. Single roadies, and tandem.

000120918D.JPG
121215D_zps7fzusnh1.jpg
121215L_zpsmwsireps.jpg
10583985_606680056131123_3872368519528192804_n_zpstc5omcv5.jpg
0T3_zpsjfc7dyi8.jpg

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
My father in law is 84 and still rides his road bike regularly.

I am 60 and took up ultra distance riding with Tuscany Road last year. Transcontinental Race this year.

When will I stop? When I cant do it or stop enjoying it. Age really is just a number. It shouldnt stop you from doing anything.

I go winter bathing here in Denmark. Yes we break the ice to go swimming. Out of about 20 I am probably the youngest. In Denmark when you retire is when you really take up sport full time.

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Went on my first big run on my trike aged 3 to go visit an aunt 10 miles away. The police brought me home after about the first mile. Now while I still use several road bikes including a Brompton I have just got a tadpole trike. This is looking to the future (if I have any ) in case I cannot use the road bikes any more. I qualified this as now aged 83 (which I rarely admit to ) various bits of my internals are starting to give trouble so who knows what any possible future holds. I intend to keep cycling as long as possible tho’.

Top Bottom