When would you like 'to go' ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
That's true. I must admit I've not been following Esther Rantzen's battle with assisted dying. I would think the only 2 things against it would be:

1. Religious Beliefs i.e. we are not God and only God decides who lives and dies
2. Capacity for consent: you'd have to prove you were of sound mind to make the decision.
c. Ensuring that no blackmail/coercion has been going on

A small detail, but, I think that is 3 things? ;)

Personally, I am a total non-believer, but, I have no problem with other people believing in whichever "god" they wish. Within my circle of acquaintances, there is one vociferous "believer", who always expresses his non-acceptance of assisted dying, at any opportunity. He is an in-law, so, in the interests of family harmony, I limit my comments to him, but, basically, if he wishes to die slowly, painfully and, possibly, without dignity, as far as I am am concerned, that is his right, I just do not wish to avail myself of that right.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Clearly there are issues/problems/concerns with it. But we're all free to throw ourselves off a bridge* (without any kind of screening or appplication process) up until we are too infirm to get to the parapet.

*or various other methods that will cause much trauma/cost to other people.

I saw the remains of a guy who threw himself off a motorway bridge. We were forced to drive passed slowly.
There were literally chunks of him scattered around ie I went past a section of his leg.
40 years on and I can still see it. God knows how the 1st driver to hit him felt.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Nice one. That set me thinking, we brits have a sense of humour whereby we often laugh at the things that we should not and I wonder if other nationalities are similar ?

It made me laugh, but I grew up in 70s 80s.

I do wonder if today’s teenagers would find it funny.

We all know it’s a joke made with no malice. But what would the relatives think, and should we care?

Venod

Eh up
It made me laugh, but I grew up in 70s 80s.

I do wonder if today’s teenagers would find it funny.

We all know it’s a joke made with no malice. But what would the relatives think, and should we care?
I did think should I post this, but I thought it's obviously a joke, sorry if it caused offence to anybody.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Just over six weeks ago would have suited me, which was the day after my wife died. I now have to live with the pain and grief of losing her for the rest of my days.

So sad to hear that, you have my sincere condolences. It's nice to hear from you again although I wish it were in happier circumstances.

tyred

Legendary Member
My mother passed away 18 months ago at the age of 101. The last 5 years of her life were not good and she had a hard and painful passing.

So if I were to live as long as my mum I have another 33 years left. I have no intention of passing like that.

As soon as or if my life reaches the point where I am not capable of looking after myself, that will be time for me to go. So it could be 10 years or 30. Its not the time I have left as far as I am concerned, it's the quality of my life that will determine when the time is right for me. Dying quietly, in my sleep will be the my choice. I couldn't wish for a better way to go.

Indeed, quality of life is everything. My Dad hasn't had a great quality of life for the past ten years as he has only 30% lung capacity and also back hip problems so he has poor mobility.

An aunt had a stroke in July 2022 and has never been out of hospital since and spends much of her time in bed.

My uncle died in February, at 83, after suffering from dementia since his late 60s. He was in a home and didn't even recognise his own son for the past few years.

His wife had died about 10 years ago from some sort of rare muscle wasting disease. She had gradually deteriorated to the point of basically being strapped in a wheelchair as she couldn't sit up.

I have another aunt and uncle in very poor condition too.

Looking at what's happening the older members of my family is why I have little desire to live into old age.

Slick

Guru
Clearly there are issues/problems/concerns with it. But we're all free to throw ourselves off a bridge* (without any kind of screening or appplication process) up until we are too infirm to get to the parapet.

*or various other methods that will cause much trauma/cost to other people.

Which is kinda my point.

Whilst we are free to throw ourselves off a bridge, if it was legal, would some feel obligated to do the same so as not soak up the family finances?

Top Bottom