When would you like 'to go' ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
See https://www.funeralguide.co.uk/help...des/a-guide-to-woodland-burial-green-funerals

I think it’s something I’d quite like as a resting place.

Yes - I suppose - I have told her that as far as I am concerned she can cremate me and lob the ashes off the Mersey Ferry
just not when that bloody "Ferry cross the Mersey" is playing!!!
nothing against the song - it is just that 47,256,673 times of hearing it is enough (I used to take my sandwiches down to Pier Head on decent days when I worked in Liverpool!)

I would like to go peacefully in my sleep like my bus driver dad, not kicking and screaming like his passengers.

Damn - missed this post!

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I'm easy.

I do have a loose plan that, should I make it to "old age", I'll become / remain as fit and strong as possible to preserve ability and quality of life as long as possible, while having an accessible exit strategy in place.

I have no intention of existing for the sake of it while I become increasingly unable to look after myself / a growing burden on others.. not that I really have anyone left to be a burden upon..

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
My mother passed away 18 months ago at the age of 101. The last 5 years of her life were not good and she had a hard and painful passing.

So if I were to live as long as my mum I have another 33 years left. I have no intention of passing like that.

As soon as or if my life reaches the point where I am not capable of looking after myself, that will be time for me to go. So it could be 10 years or 30. Its not the time I have left as far as I am concerned, it's the quality of my life that will determine when the time is right for me. Dying quietly, in my sleep will be the my choice. I couldn't wish for a better way to go.

My mother passed away 18 months ago at the age of 101. The last 5 years of her life were not good and she had a hard and painful passing.

So if I were to live as long as my mum I have another 33 years left. I have no intention of passing like that.

As soon as or if my life reaches the point where I am not capable of looking after myself, that will be time for me to go. So it could be 10 years or 30. Its not the time I have left as far as I am concerned, it's the quality of my life that will determine when the time is right for me. Dying quietly, in my sleep will be the my choice. I couldn't wish for a better way to go.

Yes - I agree
My Dad was injured during the war and walked with sticks since then
over the years he gradually got worse and ended up in a wheelchair
which was a blow but was OKish

but then his eyes started to go as well so he was registered blind as well - so even a mobility scooter was no a possibility -the car had gone a while ago

He told be before the end that he was ready to go and wished he had gone years ago but had to hang on to look after my Mum who had dementure

When she finally went we talked a lot in hospital - where has had been for a while due to a long story that I should have complained about
But basically he pretty much let go at that point - Mum had gone so he could now - he had nothing to stay around for

I don;t want to get to either of those stages

Assisted dying is just fine by me at that point

DRM

Guru
Ideally seeking refuge in a nuclear reactor containment building while fighting terrorists, while also being chased by an escaped tiger, and if all goes well I'll stagger and collapse where the boundaries of three different force areas meet. By my reckoning that'll be heaps of paperwork for at least 6 different organisations.
I would suggest dealing with an incident in the correct area near Selby should see you tie up at least 3, possibly 4 Police Forces, North Yorks, South Yorks, East Yorks, possibly West Yorks if you get your stagger done correctly :okay:

Assisted dying is an interesting concept but I'm not totally convinced it should be a thing.

Clearly there are issues/problems/concerns with it. But we're all free to throw ourselves off a bridge* (without any kind of screening or appplication process) up until we are too infirm to get to the parapet.

*or various other methods that will cause much trauma/cost to other people.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Provided it is not compulsory, then, all you need to do is not avail yourself of the facility, no reason to deprive others who may wish to do so.

That's true. I must admit I've not been following Esther Rantzen's battle with assisted dying. I would think the only 2 things against it would be:

1. Religious Beliefs i.e. we are not God and only God decides who lives and dies
2. Capacity for consent: you'd have to prove you were of sound mind to make the decision.
c. Ensuring that no blackmail/coercion has been going on

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
My wife went in for a very risky operation in January, one that it was very possible she wouldn't survive. We said our goodbyes in our own way as she was wheeled away on the gurney. I went through hell over the next 4 hours as I waited for news until she emerged.

If she hadn't made it, I would have followed her.

Still feel the same.

Top Bottom