When you die

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
So it will arrive sooner or later for all of us. Some will see it coming, some will have no warning at all.
Some will suffer and some will blink out like a light.
After that though what's your preference for how your earthy remains are dealt with ? @ColinJ mentioned something in ' Your Ride Today' and it got me thinking.

I have a leaning towards signing over what is left for medical use. I'm more than happy for organs of any kind to be used to help others (if they are still worth using). My body will be more use being practised on by students than it would either mouldering away in a box underground or drifting up a crematorium chimney.
I actually downloaded the forms for this some months ago but haven't filled them in yet.

It's sort of morbid I grant but being closer to the end than most it has crossed my mind.

What about you lot?

I expect a bidding war amongst various institutions to display the closest example of the human ideal.

gbb

Legendary Member
I've thought about it but am a bit turned off by the prospect particually after watching a programme where a medical student in a hospital was carrying a human foot and lower leg...presumably for dissection or practice of some sort.
My overriding thought was...jesus, that was part of a living human with thoughts and feelings....its just something I can't reconcile in myself. It doesnt make sense but I can't get past that thought.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I wish for organ donation, would be happy with decent medical science use, it draw the line at pissed up medical student playing football with my head.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I expect a bidding war amongst various institutions to display the closest example of the human ideal.

Tell them to hold their horses I'm not yet available, it was just a cough after all.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
So it will arrive sooner or later for all of us. Some will see it coming, some will have no warning at all.
Some will suffer and some will blink out like a light.
After that though what's your preference for how your earthy remains are dealt with ? @ColinJ mentioned something in ' Your Ride Today' and it got me thinking.

I have a leaning towards signing over what is left for medical use. I'm more than happy for organs of any kind to be used to help others (if they are still worth using). My body will be more use being practised on by students than it would either mouldering away in a box underground or drifting up a crematorium chimney.
I actually downloaded the forms for this some months ago but haven't filled them in yet.

It's sort of morbid I grant but being closer to the end than most it has crossed my mind.

What about you lot?
I got the forms when I was ill in hospital in 2012. It does kind of creep me out a bit, but I won't be worrying about it afterwards so I decided to do the decent thing and gave permission for any useful bits to be harvested for transplantation and let the medical students loose on what is left!

What I hadn't anticipated was a negative reaction from my family and friends. They wittered on about having "nothing to have a funeral with" ... Then I broke the news to them that I don't actually want a funeral either! My preference is for them to just to spread the news and then get on with their lives. I obviously won't be able to stop them having some kind of get-together if they insist on it though!

I asked my sister to come on here in the event of my sudden death to let you know what happened to me. I remember it happening on BikeRadar about 15 years ago. I've forgotten the name of the rider but he was killed in an accident and his sister posted to let us know about it.

I've thought about it but am a bit turned off by the prospect particually after watching a programme where a medical student in a hospital was carrying a human foot and lower leg...presumably for dissection or practice of some sort.
My overriding thought was...jesus, that was part of a living human with thoughts and feelings....its just something I can't reconcile in myself. It doesnt make sense but I can't get past that thought.

I'm not sure worms have a more respectful approach, but I see what you mean.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I like the idea of being buried at sea. Properly rather than ashes going in. I have enjoyed sea fishing foe most of my life although the opportunities to go are somewhat few these days.

Only right that the fish get the chance to even the score a bit. Plus, it would be nice for my loved ones to be able to go to any sea, (maybe not the Dead Sea) and be able to remember me.

This reminds me, I must check to see if I can carry an organ donor card: I can't give blood here because I lived in the UK and was operated on during the BSE Crisis, so I don't know if they'll take any components.

Top Bottom