When you die

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I have told Mr WD when he dies i will get the farmer to dig a hole in the field and i will bury him there. All it will cost me is a few quid for the farmer to buy himself a drink. ^_^

Levo-Lon

Guru
Don’t think any bits of me left would be any use to anyone. I will be buried in our local cemetery beside my late wife of nearly 60 years. Probably just a graveside ceremony but I will not be there to decide. Most of my friends are already dead so not many beyond family.

I dont know what to say to that, other than you have my respect for your honesty.

Slioch

Guru
Mrs S's father died 3 years ago. He was a doctor and left his remains to medical research. The family eventually received the cremated remains of what was left a few months ago. All well and good.

But, an unforeseen consequence of this was that there was no funeral, so no opportunities to say your "last goodbyes", so the grieving process has been a bit disjointed, so to speak.

The family did consider having a memorial service (with no body), but lots of dithering and inability to come to a joint decision meant it did not go ahead.

Me personally? I'd be happy to leave my body to medical research, but it can leave additional problems for those still alive if they are unable to get "closure".

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I will be buried in a peat bog with my bikes, to be create a puzzle for archaeologists in 5,000 years time.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I told my GP that I rather liked the idea of medical students playing obscene practical jokes with my organs, but he said that didn't happen any more and that everything was regulated and respectful nowadays.

pjd57

Veteran
Organ donation if possible followed by cremation .
Then I want the ashes launched into the sky in the biggest rocket the fireworks factory can provide.

snorri

Legendary Member
Being a bit short of living relatives I thought I should do something myself before the day and requested a younger relative to take on the 'next of kin' role. I made an appointment to see a local undertaker and after a couple of visits agreed on a set of instructions in line with my wishes right down to the wording of newspaper announcement, engraving of a stone and preferred venue for after planting refreshments, and it's fully paid up!
When the time comes my next of kin, who has also got a sealed copy of my instructions, will alert the undertaker who should carry out the instructions with minimal input being required from the next of kin.
After arrangements had been completed, I felt a strange sense of relief that all was organised, although I had been unaware of any load on my mind before hand.

Top Bottom