When you go abroad . . .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Always bring ciggies, and often a bottle of Drambuie.

My record was coming back from Jo'burg, 4000 cigs and 20 litres of booze!

walker

I don't drink enough to warrant buying alcohol, but one year I spent £300 on aftershaves.

and I don't smoke, I don't need to eat toblerones to excess either

domtyler

Über Member
Booze is generally cheaper in CostCo than in the duty free anyway so I avoid the hassle of having to carry anything extra.

Smeggers

Duty Free is for the football shirt wearing pleb-classes who are prepared to haul a bottle of Scotch 2,000 miles just save 3 quid.

Edit: Oops this isn't Soapbox is it?! Tea anyone? ;)

zimzum42

Legendary Member
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
I don't smoke and hardly drink these days so rarely bother with duty free.

I refuse out of principle in using my quota to buy someone else some fags.

What principle?

col

Legendary Member
My wife normally brings me a ten pack of baccy back and a couple for some mates too,(i dont fly)it works out at at less than a third of the price,and lasts me months,as i mix with real fags,which she will normally bring a few cartons home too.

ChrisKH

Guru
zimzum42 said:
What principle?

The same principle I have probably; if you want to kill yourself that's fine but I aint assisting. I regularly get asked by Cancer 1 and Cancer 2 (in-laws) to bring cigarettes back but have of late been refusing as it takes up my on board luggage space (I like to travel light, like I did in 'Nam) and I've already lost two close reli's to cancer and I don't want my wife to have to go through what I did. They probably will kill themselves but it's nothing to do with me.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
fair enough

gbb

Legendary Member
ChrisKH said:
The same principle I have probably; if you want to kill yourself that's fine but I aint assisting. I regularly get asked by Cancer 1 and Cancer 2 (in-laws) to bring cigarettes back but have of late been refusing as it takes up my on board luggage space (I like to travel light, like I did in 'Nam) and I've already lost two close reli's to cancer and I don't want my wife to have to go through what I did. They probably will kill themselves but it's nothing to do with me.

Its a moral dillema of course...i dont smoke, my wife does.
Do i like it, of course not. Do i worry, of course i do.
But she (and smokers in general) are adult, and capable of making their own decisions. They know the risks, and I have no right to impose my preferences on someone else.
So...from MY perspective, if i dont bring any back, it's not going to stop her smoking, and its going to cost double.
But, it always bothers me a bit...i'm just perpetuating the habit...but she's going to smoke whether i do or don't.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
zimzum42 said:
What principle?

The fact that cancer sticks are not good for you and passive smoking caused my asthma untold grief before the smoking ban over here.

ChrisKH

Guru
gbb said:
Its a moral dillema of course...i dont smoke, my wife does.
Do i like it, of course not. Do i worry, of course i do.
But she (and smokers in general) are adult, and capable of making their own decisions. They know the risks, and I have no right to impose my preferences on someone else.
So...from MY perspective, if i dont bring any back, it's not going to stop her smoking, and its going to cost double.
But, it always bothers me a bit...i'm just perpetuating the habit...but she's going to smoke whether i do or don't.

Yes, I know what you mean. I get untold grief from the wife as she says they will carry on smoking anyway and it just means as pensioners they have to pay more for them but I'm sticking to my guns. This is not meant to be an anti-smoking rant btw. If you want to light up go ahead. NIMBY though.

Top Bottom