When you lose respect for a fellow cyclist.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
I do respect a fellow cyclist, the genuine cyclist, not the local idiot riding on the pavement, with the earphones in, or txting/talking on the mobile phone while riding the bike.

The random cyclist you meet on your travels, you stop and have a chat at the traffic lights.
The random cyclist who pulls over and helps out when you have a problem with your bike.
And I would bet that everyone on here would do the same to help someone out/have a chat. and to me thats respect :smile:

I agree with what your saying apart from riding on the pavement, I am old enough to remember when nobody except probably small children rode on the pavement and I used to think look at that idiot on the pavement why not use the road, my attitude has changed the roads are a much more dangerous place than they used to be so if riding on the pavement is safer and there are no pedestrians I don't see a problem, of course pedestrians should be respected if encountered, I regularly use a 1/2 mile stretch of pavement were I never encounter anybody, the cars and trucks are passing at 60 mph so its much safer.

I agree I should be able to ride on the road and the traffic should slow down and show some respect, but not all drivers ride a bike.

I saw someone wearing a pair of black leather shoes skip the queue in the post office.

All people who wear black leather shoes are impatient little s***s. Ban them I say.

I was queuing at the Post Office behind a bloke with horns and a tail and a funny trident-type spear thing.

He took forever at the counter and I missed most of my lunch break. He seemed to want just about every form they had.

I cannot begin to work out what he was up to.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
They're all the same, those bicyclists:

Banging on about the environment and personal liberty and trying to make my choice of breakfast into a big political debate and telling me why my diesel fumes are killing them when really it's my driving that's dangerous and getting aroused while discussing how many cogs they have on their cassettes and debating the relative merits of carbon fibre against aluminium and wearing clothes that tell me too much about their personal grooming and blitzing me in my face with three-thousand-candlepower front lights and dragging their children around in rickety trailers and jumping red lights and riding on the pavement and worrying sheep and shagging farm animals and having ginger hair and spitting in shops and disrespecting the game of football and eating imported fruit and buying wheels with huge words written on the rims and thinking they're Bilbo Wiggins or some other hobbit and pretending that the word 'cadence' actually means anything and buying their furniture from DFS and not putting oil in their pasta water and spending money on monkey puke dressed up as energy gel...

And do you know what?

They don't even pay road tax!

Hey, I'm not ginger!

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
No, he's just an idiot, and doesn't represent cyclists in general. Yes, I know that motorists see one cyclist doing something reprehensible, and tar all cyclists with the same brush, but that's a misconception.

But the misconception is precisely why lawbreaking cyclsts are a problem for all of us.

Statistically, what the people crossing the road or in cars saw was 50% of cyclists breaking the law (lower if there were other cyclists around at the time). Ask them later and most of them will probably tell you they saw 100% of cyclists jumping the red lights.

tyred

Legendary Member
I was queuing at the Post Office behind a bloke with horns and a tail and a funny trident-type spear thing.

He took forever at the counter and I missed most of my lunch break. He seemed to want just about every form they had.

I cannot begin to work out what he was up to.

You have clearly just met my boss.

Top Bottom