When you lose respect for a fellow cyclist.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sidevalve

Über Member
They're all the same, those bicyclists:

Banging on about the environment and personal liberty and trying to make my choice of breakfast into a big political debate and telling me why my diesel fumes are killing them when really it's my driving that's dangerous and getting aroused while discussing how many cogs they have on their cassettes and debating the relative merits of carbon fibre against aluminium and wearing clothes that tell me too much about their personal grooming and blitzing me in my face with three-thousand-candlepower front lights and dragging their children around in rickety trailers and jumping red lights and riding on the pavement and worrying sheep and shagging farm animals and having ginger hair and spitting in shops and disrespecting the game of football and eating imported fruit and buying wheels with huge words written on the rims and thinking they're Bilbo Wiggins or some other hobbit and pretending that the word 'cadence' actually means anything and buying their furniture from DFS and not putting oil in their pasta water and spending money on monkey puke dressed up as energy gel...

And do you know what?

They don't even pay road tax!
Nice rant ! Doesn't really alter anything to do with the OP though.

oldroadman

Veteran
There are alot of knobbers around these days, unfortunately some ride bicycles.

Even more of them are driving, and yet we don't tar all drivers as a single group of idiots based on the stupid (and dangerous) minority. Though some people observe that certain brands and car types associate with certain age groups in being perceived as more challenging than others.
Here's some allegations. None of which have any real factual basis.
All MPs fiddle expenses.
All traffic wardens are merciless miseries who enjoy ticketing people.
All Audi drivers are company car maniacs who will risk everything for an overtake.
All young drivers in small Citreon hatchbacks drive like idiots to imress their mates.
All people on bikes are stupid RLJers, who wander about the road getting in the way of "real" traffic.
Generalisation, easy, isn't it.

OP
OP
paul04

paul04

Über Member
You say you lost respect for this guy, but what had he done to gain your respect in the first place?

I do respect a fellow cyclist, the genuine cyclist, not the local idiot riding on the pavement, with the earphones in, or txting/talking on the mobile phone while riding the bike.

The random cyclist you meet on your travels, you stop and have a chat at the traffic lights.
The random cyclist who pulls over and helps out when you have a problem with your bike.
And I would bet that everyone on here would do the same to help someone out/have a chat. and to me thats respect :smile:

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Even more of them are driving, and yet we don't tar all drivers as a single group of idiots based on the stupid (and dangerous) minority. Though some people observe that certain brands and car types associate with certain age groups in being perceived as more challenging than others.
Here's some allegations. None of which have any real factual basis.
All MPs fiddle expenses.
All traffic wardens are merciless miseries who enjoy ticketing people.
All Audi drivers are company car maniacs who will risk everything for an overtake.
All young drivers in small Citreon hatchbacks drive like idiots to imress their mates.
All people on bikes are stupid RLJers, who wander about the road getting in the way of "real" traffic.
Generalisation, easy, isn't it.

I just picked up my new Audi company car, and I resent that Audi comment above, I only do that 50% of the time lol

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
No, he's just an idiot, and doesn't represent cyclists in general. Yes, I know that motorists see one cyclist doing something reprehensible, and tar all cyclists with the same brush, but that's a misconception.

yes but by your own words its a misconception that is quite widely held amongst non regular cyclists, and they're give or take 98% of the road population. We all know on here that he's an unrepresentative nobber but sadly to the outside world, he's yet another f***ing cyclist thinking he's got a divine right to do what he wants. Road tax is a misconception but you try and shift it.

arguing on here about semantics of cyclists vs people who ride bikes is just The Peoples front of Judea shouting splitter at the Popular front of Judea.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Perhaps I should have just used the word 'prejudice' instead, because that's what it is. Most people see motorists breaking various road laws every day, and don't even comment on it unless it's a particularly flagrant violation. These same people see cyclists committing a relatively minor infraction, and the hypocritical comments start flowing. Perhaps instead of trying to make other cyclists adhere to the road laws a bit better, we should be fighting this prejudice, because we're not responsible for other cyclists' actions.

yes but by your own words its a misconception that is quite widely held amongst non regular cyclists, and they're give or take 98% of the road population. We all know on here that he's an unrepresentative nobber but sadly to the outside world, he's yet another f***ing cyclist thinking he's got a divine right to do what he wants. Road tax is a misconception but you try and shift it.

arguing on here about semantics of cyclists vs people who ride bikes is just The Peoples front of Judea shouting splitter at the Popular front of Judea.

Splitters!

tyred

Legendary Member
I saw someone wearing a pair of black leather shoes skip the queue in the post office.

All people who wear black leather shoes are impatient little shoots. Ban them I say.

Top Bottom