Where am I going wrong

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lonestar

Veteran
Cycling up the hill at Upper Road between Canning Town and Plaistow yesterday past the temporary lights (which were green for me)half way up the hill I was confronted by three cars that had deliberately passed the temporary traffic light at red on the other side and drove at me into the pinch point as half the road was closed..Me calling them twats at the time was not really a good career move but there are so many twats out there,period.The good motorists standing at the lights looked a bit bemused.Which made me smile a bit,but I've seen all this before and I'd guess so have they.

I'd already been overtaken by a moped and motorcyclist on the same return commute on the CS 3 just past Shadwell but I have some sort of suspicion that the motorcycle mat have been nicked.On the same finishing time two days earlier it was one moped overtaking me on the same spot while his mate went the wrong way up the one way street on moped #2 with a car coming towards him.

The thing at work now which is getting to me is the anti cyclist bile bullshit (at work) which I generally wont stand from the same old idiots when car drivers are doing no better.

So the driving seems to be pretty crap everywhere.I think some of these stupid people have seen The Fast and the Furious bullshit franchise.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5220355, member: 9609"]I was in York a few weeks ago, this is the first time I have been to a 'cycling city' since I took an interest in cycling, just an amazing amount of cyclists (and great to see) but what a complete disregard to the law and poor road craft amongst them. Even older women on sit up and beg type bikes just ignoring red lights, riders turning right without looking over their shoulders, wrong way down one ways, and at night, probably less than half seem to bother with lights. I completely agree motorist break the road laws all the time and their actions often have far greater consequences to others, but there are a lot of cyclists just taking the pish.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I know, it boils mine. :cursing:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
If the traffic law was enforced properly, with heavy fines and seizure of bikes from the lawless idiot cycling element, then cyclists as a whole would probably be on the receiving end of far less shite from anti-cyclist motorists who witness all the rule-flouting on a daily basis.
Cyclists as a group have a big image problem in that they are widely perceived to be "above the law" in the way a lot of them use the roads. When I was walking to and from the pub the other night, I encountered six cyclists. Only two of them had any lights showing, and only one was wearing conspicuous clothing (this rider was one that had lights). The coppers could nick rogue cyclists by the dozen in my area with no effort on their part whatsoever, but there's a serious lack of visible police unless something kicks off and someone dials 999. At other times, the streets are now a police-free zone.

Lonestar

Veteran
How very true @SkipdiverJohn ....Yesterday for me it was mopeds and dickhead car drivers...Today it was a RLJing cyclist on a junction who didn't see me...Plus another brain dead cyclist on his mobile as he cycled down Plaistow High Street totally oblivious to anyone else.On the commute in today the cyclist had a very weak rear light which I could see when I was ten foot from him with dark clothes but he was on the CS 2 so I guess that was ok (sarcasm) as he proceeded to jump every traffic light from Stratford to Mile End.(I left the CS 2 there because that's about as much as I can take)..While being totally oblivious to anything around him and pedaling like mad.I still managed to keep up even though I stopped at the offending traffic lights.

I'm flabbergasted how many cyclists seem to take their own and other peoples safety so lightly on the road

As you say though the motorists at work pick up on this though totally forgetting conveniently that motorists at times are no better either.

Temporary lights which were there yesterday were mysteriously gone today...(probably nicked)

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
As you say though the motorists at work pick up on this though totally forgetting conveniently that motorists at times are no better either.

Most of the time I spend on the road is as a motorist, often in WVM guise. Of all the different types of road user I encounter on a daily basis, cyclists are by far the worst-behaved group, followed by suicidal scooter riders, and Uber drivers who haven't got a clue where they are going. Everybody else, car & van drivers, black cabs, real motorcyclists, HGV's, buses & coaches etc, are way down the list in percentage terms of how many of them use the roads in a lawless & dangerous manner.

Last edited:

Lonestar

Veteran
Most of the time I spend on the road is as a motorist, often in WVM guise. Of all the different types of road user I encounter on a daily basis, cyclists are by far the worst-behaved group, followed by suicidal scooter riders, and Uber drivers who haven't got a clue where they are going. Everybody else, car & van drivers, black cabs, real motorcylists, HGV's, buses & coaches etc, are way down the list in percentage terms of how many of them use the roads in a lawless & dangerous manner.

Fair enough...I was punishment passed (the other day) by one of those Pre Booked (cab) blue stickers in the back window,presumably because I was a cyclist who couldn't get out the way quick enough down a Forest Gate backstreet...I was aware he was there and there is no way I'd take the p155 because I really don't trust some imbecile behind me down a backstreet or anywhere else in two tons of metal.

All this goes into my data banks as I'm quite familiar with these roads and Upper Road Plaistow which is boy racer territory.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Fair enough...I was punishment passed (the other day) by one of those Pre Booked (cab) blue stickers in the back window,presumably because I was a cyclist who couldn't get out the way quick enough.

Half of those idiots with minicab stickers in their back window don't know how to drive safely, don't speak the lingo, and don't know their way around London. They spend more time staring at the satnav/phone stuck on their dashboard than they do looking where they are going. I saw one plough straight into a traffic island not long ago. Didn't swerve or anything, just straight into it, no other vehicle involved. The licencing standards for PHV are very low, so you get a typical calibre of driver who is just one step up from totally unemployable.

Lonestar

Veteran
Half of those idiots with minicab stickers in their back window don't know how to drive safely, don't speak the lingo, and don't know their way around London. They spend more time staring at the satnav/phone stuck on their dashboard than they do looking where they are going. I saw one plough straight into a traffic island not long ago. Didn't swerve or anything, just straight into it, no other vehicle involved. The licencing standards for PHV are very low, so you get a typical calibre of driver who is just one step up from totally unemployable.

My encounters with Goldline and Addison Lee are not too good either.Goldline seem worse.Most of the time I can keep out of trouble like that but obviously not nice when it happens.A lot of the time I get good driving from the red bus and black cab drivers,

Top Bottom