Where are they now?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Mintolas & Munchies
Does anyone rember the Fry's Chocolate Sandwich ? - one layer of plain chocolate, encased in a double layer of milk chocolate - it had a red wrapper. There was also a single milk chocolate layer, encased in a double layer of plain - which came in a blue wrapper.

Trebor mints - the ones that were hard mints and roughly the same size as a polo mint, but with no hole in the middle. The packet was the same as a polo packet.
Timothy White's shops

Falwheeler

Omo washing powder, no longer available here for obvious reasons but you can still buy it in France

redcard

Veteran
I remember I used to always buy this drink in a clear can. Sure it was just called Seltzer. You got it in raspberry, lime, cream soda, and a couple of other flavours. One row of my bookcase was filled with the cans cos I thought they looked cool and didn't want to thrown them away.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Unigate Dairies milk bottles
_1198075_milk-300.jpg

Rag and Bone men (Arch?)
4523918626.jpg

Wooden cobbles (I knew I wasn't imagining them!)
Img_4469_th.jpg

Arch

Married to Night Train
The IRA
Black September
Baader-Meinhof
the Red Brigades

I caught the end of the 70's programme on Monday (annoyingly, as I'd meant to watch it and forgot it was on), and there was footage of the Birmingham pub bombs. I found myself almost... not nostalgic, obviously, but transported back to my childhood, by the sight of firemen in big yellow old fashioned helmets, picking through rubble. Growing up in Belfast, the local news was often full of such scenes*, quite apart from any mainland bombings.

For the same reason, I get a shiver when I hear a proper old fashioned nee-naw siren.

*It was only when we moved back to England when I was ten that I realised that the local news was local. I assumed everyone got a half hour of news about all sorts, which sometimes included Northern Ireland, and half an hour of stuff all about Northern Ireland.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Rag and Bone men (Arch?)
4523918626.jpg

Which one am I?

Actually, I saw such a thing about a year ago. We were working our normal Tang Hall round and a couple of blokes from the travellers' site on James Street were plying the streets with a proper horse and cart, and shouting 'Rag booonnnnnnnnne! It was the first time I'd ever seen one, and I was quite excited! I remember one of the 'through the windows' films on Play School was a film of a rag and bone man, I guess in the 70's they were coming to the end of being common, but I'd never seen one, I guess we were too suburban.

(There are a couple of blokes who still drive round Tang Hall, in a pick up van, with a tannoy that plays a bad quality tape loop of something that sounds like "eeioooo ooo raahhhh"

subaqua

What’s the point
Affleck & Brown's Department store in Manchester
Lewis's Department stores anywhere.

spent many a happy saturday in afflecks palace in my younger days. Train to Manchester from Chester and then hours in Eastern Bloc listening to new records and buying more than i could really afford. bought a fair few little gauzes there too :angel:

Mintolas & Munchies
Does anyone rember the Fry's Chocolate Sandwich ? - one layer of plain chocolate, encased in a double layer of milk chocolate - it had a red wrapper. There was also a single milk chocolate layer, encased in a double layer of plain - which came in a blue wrapper.

Trebor mints - the ones that were hard mints and roughly the same size as a polo mint, but with no hole in the middle. The packet was the same as a polo packet.
Timothy White's shops
Saw Munchies in Tesco the other day and they were some ridiculous price like 60p or something.

Top Bottom