Where can I get hold of a Sturmey-Archer wheelset?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I have bought an old Raleigh (about 40 years old) off EBay for £40 to use as a shopping bike.

While it does go (just), everything on it is knackered, including the rear hub.

It currently has a 3-speed Sturmey Archer hub and in the first instance, I would like to buy a new 5-speed or 7-speed Sturmey-Archer wheelset for it, including a new chainring and chain. That would improve it a LOT!!

The trouble is, I can't seem to find a place selling S-A components for love or money and the LBS guy looked at the chainring and said "Err, dunno mate, never seen one like that before!"

Any ideas?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's

bauldbairn

It's not a Raliegh "Twenty" is it - that was my first real adult bike.

I must have been about 9(32 yrs ago) - It was second-hand Metallic Burgandy / Full Mudguards / Whitewall Tyres / Chrome Rear Carrier(maybe a front one too???;)) / Twist Grip Sturmey Archer three speed hub gears / white hand-grips / and a white Brooks saddle. I loved that bike - stripped everything of it and turned it into a "scrambler/stunt bike":blush: as you do.
Took everything I through at it for 3 years - until my Dad bought me a brand new Raliegh Europa TI, 5 speed "racer".:hugs:

Sorry got carried away there :eek: - have you tried Sturmey Archer themselves - I ended up on their website a couple of months ago, their still going. :biggrin:

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
bauldbairn said:
It's not a Raliegh "Twenty" is it - that was my first real adult bike.

I must have been about 9(32 yrs ago) - It was second-hand Metallic Burgandy / Full Mudguards / Whitewall Tyres / Chrome Rear Carrier(maybe a front one too???:evil:) / Twist Grip Sturmey Archer three speed hub gears / white hand-grips / and a white Brooks saddle. I loved that bike - stripped everything of it and turned it into a "scrambler/stunt bike":blush: as you do.
Took everything I through at it for 3 years - until my Dad bought me a brand new Raliegh Europa TI, 5 speed "racer".:laugh:

Sorry got carried away there :biggrin: - have you tried Sturmey Archer themselves - I ended up on their website a couple of months ago, their still going. :laugh:

it might be a raleigh twenty, then again it could be anything! AFAIK, it is black, it has wheels, they go round and round. It has no modern components, so the whole thing is a mystery to me!

Thanks all for the info though :thumbsup:

Top Bottom