Where could we go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
Mr6 and I have a rare couple of days (plus weekend) off together during school holidays and I thought it would be nice to get out somewhere, preferably with some family cycling thrown in.
So -any suggestions? Somewhere we could camp and hire bikes -but on the cheap side of a bargain?
We'd be taking three girls 12, 10 and 7, the youngest in particular can't cope with anything hilly or busy roads.
I'm quite keen to go to the Hebden Bridge area (W.yorks) if anyone knows of a place there?
I'll be googling later but it would be good to have some personal recommendations.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I thought the words Hebden Bridge and "not hilly" could not physically happen? (Based on everything ColinJ has said).

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
Fair point! I was thinking more that we could just do the canal path. I haven't been for years so don't know if it's possible or not.
Or maybe get the train!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Hedben Bridge is hilly in every direction apart from the valley bottom.

I think Saltaire would be great for the kids. You've got a:
  • well connected train station
  • Nice canal path either side
  • All Terrain Cycles and Ellis Briggs in case of bike problems
  • Good attractions and eateries in and around Saltaire
  • A decent campsite a quarter mile away.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Hedben Bridge is hilly in every direction apart from the valley bottom.

I think Saltaire would be great for the kids. You've got a:
  • well connected train station
  • Nice canal path either side
  • All Terrain Cycles and Ellis Briggs in case of bike problems
  • Good attractions and eateries in and around Saltaire
  • A decent campsite a quarter mile away.

Isnt this near there as well ?

808_22_3434---Bingley-Five-Rise-Locks_web.jpg

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I was thinking of it as a cycling destination rather than something to cycle round as that wouldnt take very long :laugh:

I keep on meaning to go over and have a look at it but I never seem to get round to it.

You're right it's a nice destination and being in Bingley it's only 4-5 miles along the canal from Saltaire. Bingley also has loads of stuff to do.

Edit: That picture doesn't do them justice - they're much taller than its shows.

I've been up and down the locks a dozen times and am always in awe of the engineering feat.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Can you actually get onto the canal path near All Terain Cycles and follow that or is there a better way ?

The canal path is very accessible - It's about 150 metres from All Terrain and about 100 metres from the train station. Ellis Briggs are right next to the canal, but they're at an earlier joining point.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
The canal path is very accessible - It's about 150 metres from All Terrain and about 100 metres from the train station. Ellis Briggs are right next to the canal, but they're at an earlier joining point.

Oh right thanks for that I will have to have a ride over there one nice sunny day (if we ever get one again :laugh:) , I was wondering where to join the canal path so I will just head for Ellis Briggs and join it there.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
Top Bottom