Where do all the old bikes go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

avalon

Guru
When out and about on my bike (mostly on my 1996 Reynolds 531 frame) I see most other cyclist on new aluminium or carbon framed bikes. Does everyone but me wear out their bike and upgrade every couple of years or are they all born again cyclists who ride for a year or two and then hang the bike up for good. I've worn out and replaced just about everything on my regular ride apart from the frame and the brakes (where I live I don't need to use the brakes very often), even the forks have been replaced, but the frame doesn't wear out and I see no need to fix it if it's not broken, so if most people buy new bikes regularly, are they doing it because they are fashion concious or are they tougher cyclists than me and manage to destroy the frame within a couple of years?

MarkF

Guru
[QUOTE 2406215, member: 45"]Canal.[/quote]

^_^ Beat me to it!

Nebulous

Guru
I used to wonder the same about cars. In fact as a child I used to be dismayed when my family changed their car. I used to memorise the numberplates of them all so I could buy them all back when I became rich. Then when I grew up I wondered where they had all gone!

As for bikes, some get crashed, some are left outside to rust, many are stolen. Then again, as with cars, some people can afford it and like having all the benefits that a new bike with modern components brings. If you are saving £3000 a year in travel to work costs by cycling, whilst keeping fit at the same time, why shouldn't you drop half of it, or indeed all of it on bikes and gear?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Well, alot of them land up down here. We get all sorts, mostly cast offs from Europe and the UK. I have picked up some nice ild bikes with lots of life left in them. Here is a typical shipment:
20130226_113603madshp2-1.jpg

Brandane

Legendary Member
Well done you, we are not worthy.

I genuinely don't understand why you are having a pop at the OP?

I tend to keep bikes for a long time, too. I look after the maintenance, and whenever a part needs replacing then it gets replaced, normally by something better than standard spec. The only original bits on my nearly 4 year old Tricross are the frame, bars, forks, brakes, and seatpost! I don't see the point in "upgrading" by buying a completely new bike, when the manufacturers keep "downgrading" the spec of their bikes while increasing the price year on year.

As to where do all the old bikes go? I have heard a lot of them hang about the pubs in Airdrie :whistle:.

RiflemanSmith

Because he was having a pop at people who change their bikes every couple of years.
Don't get me wrong, if you want to keep the same frame and upgrade your components when you need to fine nothing wrong with that at all.
If you want to change your bike every couple of years fine nothing wrong with that either.

"so if most people buy new bikes regularly, are they doing it because they are fashion concious or are they tougher cyclists than me and manage to destroy the frame within a couple of years?".

Bit sarcastic?

I am buying a new hybrid and replacing my current hybrid that I have had less than a year.
Not because I am fashion conscious or because I am a tougher cyclist but because I want a better bike, including a better frame!

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
When out and about on my bike (mostly on my 1996 Reynolds 531 frame) I see most other cyclist on new aluminium or carbon framed bikes. Does everyone but me wear out their bike and upgrade every couple of years or are they all born again cyclists who ride for a year or two and then hang the bike up for good. I've worn out and replaced just about everything on my regular ride apart from the frame and the brakes (where I live I don't need to use the brakes very often), even the forks have been replaced, but the frame doesn't wear out and I see no need to fix it if it's not broken, so if most people buy new bikes regularly, are they doing it because they are fashion concious or are they tougher cyclists than me and manage to destroy the frame within a couple of years?
Sorry all I can think of is Trigger and his original brush that's only had 4 new heads and 5 new handles :giggle::rofl:

Davidc

Guru
On the rare occasions I replace a bike I look for second hand first and a last years model at a hefty discount next.

In between it's the same as Brandane, I just keep replacing parts that wear out or I fancy upgrading.

I replace the bike when the frame is too tatty, gets bent, or is failing from rust or other problem. I've had 6 bikes since age 7 (54 years) of which 4 were brand new.

OP
OP
avalon

avalon

Guru
Because he was having a pop at people who change their bikes every couple of years.
Don't get me wrong, if you want to keep the same frame and upgrade your components when you need to fine nothing wrong with that at all.
If you want to change your bike every couple of years fine nothing wrong with that either.

"so if most people buy new bikes regularly, are they doing it because they are fashion concious or are they tougher cyclists than me and manage to destroy the frame within a couple of years?".

Bit sarcastic?

I am buying a new hybrid and replacing my current hybrid that I have had less than a year.
Not because I am fashion conscious or because I am a tougher cyclist but because I want a better bike, including a better frame!
Sorry if I've offended you RiflemanSmith, it wasn't my intention to have a pop at anyone. It was just something I had been wondering about. My own attitude is probably a bit old fashioned in that if it's not broken then why fix it and I appreciate that not everyone is the same, in fact it works to my advantage, because if I want something I can get it nearly new for a fraction of the new price.

RiflemanSmith

Sorry if I've offended you RiflemanSmith, it wasn't my intention to have a pop at anyone. It was just something I had been wondering about. My own attitude is probably a bit old fashioned in that if it's not broken then why fix it and I appreciate that not everyone is the same, in fact it works to my advantage, because if I want something I can get it nearly new for a fraction of the new price.
no problem mate wasn't offended just sounded a bit off.
It's a good attitude to have.
I am like that with many things and I like to look after stuff and make it last, except with computers and used to be the same with motor bikes, now it's push bikes.
;)

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I'm quite comfortable with my Vivente tourer, which I've had for 4.5 years, riding 58,000km. The only original parts are the frame, brifters and handlebars. Because I regularly clean and maintain it, and hate to hear it making unusual noises, it still runs silently, except for the usual chain-buzz ^_^. I dread the day when the frame finally wears out (whenever that is), because then I'll have to get used to commuting 300km a week on an entirely new bike, and so will need to get used to it.

The only reason I bought the Specialized road bike in November is that I realised that the Vivente tourer, while perfectly suited to long rides, isn't as good for climbing hills as a much lighter road bike. Hopefully I'll have the Specialized road bike for many years, and many 10s of 1000s of km too :smile:. Today I replaced the 23mm folding tyres on my road bike with 25mm wire-bead tyres (much tougher ones), so now it will be better on long rides also (albeit a tiny bit heavier).

By the way, I thought all the old bikes eventually went to Bikehalla??

Top Bottom