Where do all the old bikes go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
My old bikes go from the heated, double glazed, insulated and alarmed garage to the nice big wooden shed when they get replaced by a newer model. Where they go after the shed is a mystery as I have not decided yet, often though I prefer to pass them on to a non bike owner.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I suspect a lot of them are melted down for scrap. I've just been offered a £140 for an X-reg MOT failure Nissan Micra. A single bike won't be worth much but a few dozen will.

Sara_H

Guru
My first two bikes and my sons first bikes were given away on freecycle and I've just sold one. We currently have on outgrown child's bike in the garage which is going to a local bike recycling project after already having had four previous owners!

Brandane

Legendary Member
An awful lot of them seem to wind up in the States. British bicycles have quite a following over here .

British bikes? They must be VERY old! :sad:. Since the majority of new bikes over here for the last decade or more seem to be American - Specialized, Trek, (Cannondale, are they American?) etc....

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I work for one of the Cambridge colleges. I know Kings College round up any left behind bikes once in a while and gives them to a charity that sends them off to Africa.
I estimate that there are 375 billion bikes in stages of disrepair locked to railings in Cambridge.....

Brandane

Legendary Member
There are nine million of them in Beijing, that's a fact.

Can't bring myself to post a YouTube link to the song. Boring tripe that it is.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
British bikes? They must be VERY old! :sad:. Since the majority of new bikes over here for the last decade or more seem to be American - Specialized, Trek, (Cannondale, are they American?) etc....
I'm afraid American in name only. Some Treks are built here (on the high end) but many are built in China, Asia, and the Pacific Rim. Specialized, AFAIK, has always outsourced frames, and Cannondale, Schwinn, Mongoose and cetera are all owned by a Canadian company called Dorel, who has a lot of frames made in China and thereabouts. Worksman, Rivendell, Waterford, are all still made in the States, and a lot of custom frames as well.

Si_

Regular
voodoo and carrera are built in cambodia of all places, and the founder of voodoo, was.........? one Joe Murray, who some might remember from the Kona early days. And he's Canadian!

I guess thats progress then.

Top Bottom