Where do all the old bikes go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

earth

I suspect a lot of them are melted down for scrap. I've just been offered a £140 for an X-reg MOT failure Nissan Micra. A single bike won't be worth much but a few dozen will.

I sold an old alu frame once to a scrap yard with the intention of being green. I got 10p for it.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
There's a charity is there not that sends old refurbed bikes to Africa, for the folk out there it get to school and carry water and what not. The postman told me last week that Royal Mail are phasing out the RM bike fleet and sending all the old bikes to the charity that sends them to Africa.

I picked up one old bike out of a blokes van last week which was headed for the tip. I'm going to tart it up and use it.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
lots, more BSO I guess but even so, find their way to the local tip. I asked once why they don't fish them out and send them off for recycling or to Africa, a wheels for.... project etc but apparently once they're in the skip they're scrapped and not for removal. it seems totally wasteful to me not to have a cage for bikes that could be donated or stripped for salvage.

Gixxerman

Guru
Bike heaven of course.
Alternatively, for the non believers out there, here by the looks of it...
Bikes.jpg

sidevalve

Über Member
There's a charity is there not that sends old refurbed bikes to Africa, for the folk out there it get to school and carry water and what not. The postman told me last week that Royal Mail are phasing out the RM bike fleet and sending all the old bikes to the charity that sends them to Africa.

I picked up one old bike out of a blokes van last week which was headed for the tip. I'm going to tart it up and use it.
Is the water supply really so bad down your way ?!!:ohmy:

Chris S

Legendary Member
Everyone knows old bikes go to Amsterdam:thumbsup:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWmAIhz43S4

Now I know where this lot get their stock from!
http://britainlovesbikes.co.uk/

Herbie

Veteran
I genuinely don't understand why you are having a pop at the OP?

I tend to keep bikes for a long time, too. I look after the maintenance, and whenever a part needs replacing then it gets replaced, normally by something better than standard spec. The only original bits on my nearly 4 year old Tricross are the frame, bars, forks, brakes, and seatpost! I don't see the point in "upgrading" by buying a completely new bike, when the manufacturers keep "downgrading" the spec of their bikes while increasing the price year on year.

As to where do all the old bikes go? I have heard a lot of them hang about the pubs in Airdrie :whistle:.

A good bike should last a lifetime if you look after it...mine will see me out i'm fairly confident...of course it could get nicked or sommat....i digress

Top Bottom