Where do I buy 9spd components?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
So, the winter has taken its toll on the Sirrus and I need to replace some bits. Last time I did just chain nothing worked right until I also did rings and cassette so as that was a couple of winters ago I'm just intending to do the same again.

But...

Wiggle don't sell any 9 speed chain rings at all (let alone the 105's I was after) so where do people go to get these apparently obsolete parts nowadays?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
So, the winter has taken its toll on the Sirrus and I need to replace some bits. Last time I did just chain nothing worked right until I also did rings and cassette so as that was a couple of winters ago I'm just intending to do the same again.

But...

Wiggle don't sell any 9 speed chain rings at all (let alone the 105's I was after) so where do people go to get these apparently obsolete parts nowadays?

9 Speed chain rings?
Do you mean cassette?

sidevalve

Über Member
They are telling you big fat porkies. Just look on E Bay or try Evans or any other bike shop that lives in the real world. As a matter of interest I bought a chain ring only a couple of months ago no problem at all.
Ps 8 speed will do too.

OP
OP
w00hoo_kent

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I'd bought the marketing that 10 speed components didn't work with 9 speed ones. Is that not the case? If I can just buy 10 speed ones that becomes a lot easier, although that wasn't the suggestion from the Wiggle drone I asked.

I'm looking for chain, cassette and both chain rings. I can do chain and cassette no problem. It's the chain rings that are proving an issue.

Presuming I can't find Shimano 105's to do it, what do I look out for in a good chain ring? Allegedly the Shimano ones have fancy stuff to aid shifting and everything.

I'd bought the marketing that 10 speed components didn't work with 9 speed ones. Is that not the case? If I can just buy 10 speed ones that becomes a lot easier, although that wasn't the suggestion from the Wiggle drone I asked.

I'm looking for chain, cassette and both chain rings. I can do chain and cassette no problem. It's the chain rings that are proving an issue.

Presuming I can't find Shimano 105's to do it, what do I look out for in a good chain ring? Allegedly the Shimano ones have fancy stuff to aid shifting and everything.
10-speed chainrings are perfectly compatible but obviously not the chain and cassette.

sidevalve

Über Member
The front rings and shifting are TBH a little more brutal that the rear. Just buy a chainring with the correct BCD [or PCD] and the correct no of bolts of course, suitable for 8,9or 10 speed and there you go. Loads of 'em about. You can create your own cassette too it's only the spacers that vary [I've done this too] check out Sheldon Brown's site for info.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I have stronglite chain rings on one of my 9 speed bikes, but 10 speed chain rings should be ok.

OP
OP
w00hoo_kent

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Chain Reaction replied to the email today and said Shimano are stopping making most of their 9 speed chain rings to concentrate on 10 & 11. I guess if the chain ring is compatible it makes sense (although announcing it's compatible wouldn't be a bad move either). Considering the Synapse isn't a year old yet it's a bit scary to see the industry are considering its 105 9 speed drive train obsolete already...

the_mikey

Legendary Member
As far as I'm aware, Shimano 105 has been 10+ speed since 2007, Shimano tiagra and Sora have been 9 speed more recently. If you need 9 speed components, consider Sora grade components as compatible, mostly they're pretty good.

Top Bottom