Where do you Ebikers charge your batteries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When I had a new build house with an integral garage I always charged my ebike batteries in there
I believe that such places require some fireproofing in the walls/ceiling so a car fire cannot spread to the house
hence it is possibly safer than in the house in the unlikely event of a problem.

There was also less flammable stuff in there - and a concrete floor rather than carpet

lazybloke

Considering a new username
One of the known risks of lithium ion batteries is growth of dendrites, possibly resulting in an internal short circuit and spectacular thermal runaway. The problem is internal and invisible, but the dendrites grow larger with each charging cycle; a battery that is safe when new could become dangerous over time.

I suspect the risk is very low for a new ebike from a trusted manufacturer, but it's something I'd research before buying, and I'd probably take some basic precautions when charging.

Where the above really scares me is the idea of recycling aging EV batteries as domestic power storage!

I charge mine in the house. Mrs 26 isn't best pleased as I bring the whole bike in as the battery isn't removable (it can be when it dies but that's a big pfaff).

I do wonder about ebikes where the battery cannot be easily removed

A lot of people can't keep the bike indoors and so have to charge it in the shed or garage
but charging should be done in reasonable temperatures - so that sort of excludes charging in winter

It does seem like a design problem.

I do wonder about ebikes where the battery cannot be easily removed

A lot of people can't keep the bike indoors and so have to charge it in the shed or garage
but charging should be done in reasonable temperatures - so that sort of excludes charging in winter

It does seem like a design problem.

I agree. I can say I wouldn't buy an eBike without a easily removeable battery, as well as any charging issues it means if the battery develops a fault the whole bike is scrapped. Not a good design choice.

fritz katzenjammer

Der Ubergrosserbudgie
Most of the problems with charging is related to cheap no-name bikes and / or mismatched chargers. People misplace the correct charger and plug in something similar thinking there is no difference and set their bike ablaze. OR… people buy cheap and are surprised when it’s…. Um… well, cheap!

better brand name machines have proprietary plugs to prevent the use of the wrong charger as well as far higher quality components.

the manufacturers, both of our in house systems and the Bosch systems used on some of our bikes, recommend charging in a warm dry environment. Don’t completely drain the battery before charging and don’t fully charge the battery. I charge our e-bike outside when possible, charging it when it gets down to 10 to 20% and charging it up to about 90%. The batteries are supposed to be good for about 1000 cycles.

Interestingly, corporate has ruled that we are not allowed to leave bikes charging overnight.

having seen a laptop go up in flames on a boardroom table in the middle of a meeting I really don’t trust lithium ion batteries and can’t wait for the sodium units to become more popular as that technology develops.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I agree. I can say I wouldn't buy an eBike without a easily removeable battery, as well as any charging issues it means if the battery develops a fault the whole bike is scrapped. Not a good design choice.

Not really, batteries can be removed, even if with difficulty, and replaced. However it is wrong that in most cases information about charging, bike storage temperature and battery levels only becomes fully apparent after purchase.

Dadam

There aren't any ebikes I'm aware of with completely non-removable batteries, but there are quite a few where it's a workshop job to change them, but it doesn't mean the whole bike is scrapped. In general they tend to be the lighter road type because to make a removable downtube battery you need a wider, heavier construction as it needs a big hole to access the battery, so needs to be beefed up to compensate. The fixed type, you can access through the BB area but the BB needs removing first. This allows a slimmer, lighter construction

Last edited:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Don’t completely drain the battery before charging and don’t fully charge the battery. I charge our e-bike outside when possible, charging it when it gets down to 10 to 20% and charging it up to about 90%.
Doesn't that make nonsense of the range claims given by the makers? !0 - 90% indicates only 80% of a claimed 100km range, for example.

Dadam

Doesn't that make nonsense of the range claims given by the makers? !0 - 90% indicates only 80% of a claimed 100km range, for example.

There's a difference between "do NOT do this" and "to prolong the life of the battery reduce the times you do this". I always charge to 100% before a long ride but for day to day use generally charge up to about 80%. The last 10% or so you will be experiencing either much reduced power or some BMS will cut the assist altogether so this should not be counted in the overall range.

But most range claims are nonsense to begin with as there are too many variables.

Top Bottom