Where do you think the edge of London is?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
So the consensus seems to be that London is the area bounded by the M25, plus some parts beyond it and minus some bits within it.

That was easy, then.

Tim Hall

So the consensus seems to be that London is the area bounded by the M25, plus some parts beyond it and minus some bits within it.

That was easy, then.
So where was the edge before the M25?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Most of the africans i meet refer to England (and perhaps Great Britain) as London.
When Jim and Armgard arrived from California on their leg of the home-swap they'd done with my parents, they stayed in London for a week, then hired a car and were last seen heading off to the two other places in the UK they'd heard of and wanted to visit: Stonehenge, and Wales.

steverob

Guru
When Jim and Armgard arrived from California on their leg of the home-swap they'd done with my parents, they stayed in London for a week, then hired a car and were last seen heading off to the two other places in the UK they'd heard of and wanted to visit: Stonehenge, and Wales.
Whenever Americans ask me where I'm from when I'm over there, I normally say Oxford as a) they've heard of it, even if they're not sure exactly where it is in relation to London, b) it's not THAT far from the truth (I'm less than 20 miles from it) and c) the next nearest place I could use that they've heard of would actually be London, thereby falling into the same cliche of Britain = England = London in their minds.

subaqua

What’s the point
You're thinking of Watford, on the northern edge of London, just inside the M25.

Watford Gap is an entirely separate place in the Midlands, near Northampton, about 60 miles north of Watford. It was traditionally a key coaching stop on the major routes linking north and south (even today it's on the M1, close to the start of the M6). Not even the most optimistic airport owner would try to claim it is part of London, or even that it marks the boundary of London.

Watford Gap's historical status as marking the north-south divide is largely based on the boundaries of regional accents.

Sleazy Jet and Ryanscare would claim it is .....

KneesUp

Guru
Oxford Airport is actually in Kidlington which is outside the Oxford ring road. So to my mind, Kidlington is not Oxford. I think I'll start a new thread.
I used to live in Oxford and work near the "airport" and I'd agree with you.

(I walked home down the canal once, it was lovely. I wish I'd had somewhere to keep a bike when I lived there - there were showers at work and everything - I've never worked anywhere so well suited to cycling since)

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Sleazy Jet and Ryanscare would claim it is .....

Actually, come to think of it, they did try to rebrand my local airport as 'London Manston' a few years ago, and that's about the same distance from London, so you could be right.

No one went for it though. The airport has now closed and the site is being redeveloped.

[QUOTE 4944953, member: 45"]Birmingham Airport is in Solihull. Bristol Airport is in rural North Somerset.[/QUOTE]
Oxford Airport calls itself London Oxford

Top Bottom